+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost job after BCPNP nomination

AbigailA

May 20, 2022
I received my BCPNP (Express Entry Skilled Worker Tech stream) with a job offer from an eligible employer. My nomination is not employer-restricted.

I got my ITA for PR right away. My employer-specific work permit should be nearly done processing, and I was a day or two away from submitting my PR application.

Yesterday my employer fired me. I have a few potential job leads in the same field that would meet all the eligibility requirements that my previous job met, and I emailed BCPNP right away to let them know.

1. What steps do I need to take regarding the work permit?
2. Should I still submit my PR application or should I hold off until I secure another job?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Just curious, why did your employer fire you? Was it an individual termination or layoff? Just wondering as I think Saskatchewan that has a bearing on how much time you get to find a new job.

AbigailA

May 20, 2022
Just curious, why did your employer fire you? Was it an individual termination or layoff? Just wondering as I think Saskatchewan that has a bearing on how much time you get to find a new job.
It was individual termination. The reasons they listed were actually things I had not done, but the communication had been so poor that they had several other people quit or get fired before me.

jumpywizard

May 26, 2024
Hi Abigail, I have been in the same situation recently. Do you remember if you let BCPNP know about the job situation and what did they reply. How much time did they give you to look for a new job? My PR file is under process, I am looking for a job right now. Can you give some feedback from your case?

AbigailA

May 20, 2022
Hi Abigail, I have been in the same situation recently. Do you remember if you let BCPNP know about the job situation and what did they reply. How much time did they give you to look for a new job? My PR file is under process, I am looking for a job right now. Can you give some feedback from your case?
I let them know right away, and they asked me to submit proof of my job search. They responded that they would continue to support my nomination and may check my job search again, so I submitted my PR. They never did check again, and it took another (very long) few months to find a job, but once I did I let the BCPNP office know and that was that!

I hadn't submitted my PR by the time I lost my job though, so my case was a bit different. However, the officer I corresponded with was understanding and helpful. Just my two cents. Good luck!