+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Lost Canadians" Question

hana90

Jan 17, 2014
This is about my spouse and her children:

Spouse--born in United States in 1943. Mother was born and raised in Canada (considered a British subject at the time), held Canadian passport, etc. Father was US citizen.

Spouse's 5 adult children--born in US between 1969 and 1983. Not permanent residents of Canada. (Other parent is US citizen)

Spouse's 2 minor children--born in US in 2001 and 2004. Permanent residents of Canada. (Other parent is US citizen, also permanent resident of Canada)

When the new Citizenship Act goes through, Spouse will be a Canadian citizen. Will any of the children be Canadian citizens?

I am not sure of the impact of the "first generation" clause since the children were all born before 2009. I believe the answer hinges on whether spouse's citizenship is considered retroactive to her birth, which I believe it should be according to what I have read.

Thank you.

Marypetty

Apr 1, 2013
I am also one of the "Lost Canadians" who, if Bill C-24 is passed, will receive citizenship from my Mother (born in Canada). From what I have read, I will receive citizenship, but not my children. However, I was disappointed in 2009 when CIC stated that those first generation who had a Canadian parent would receive citizenship. Alas, this only applied to those with a Canadian father - mothers were not considered equal. So, although I am much more positive this time, that discrimination has finally been rectified, I am also sure my children (born in the UK) will not be included. You could try the "Lost Canadians" site online and find out if any one knows for sure.

hana90

Jan 17, 2014
Thank you for replying. Yes, the father/mother discrepancy is exactly what happened for my spouse. I'll have my fingers crossed for both of you as this bill goes forward.