+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking to study in Canada with the possibility of trying for permanent residency

Mar 25, 2019
I'm a young professional in the US with a BA in history. My cumulative GPA is 3.66 -not the best but not terrible- and I'm looking at getting my masters in the same field.

Canadian schools are attractive given the 1 year study coarse and the relatively low cost compared to US graduate programs. I'm also interested in Canadian social history.

The four schools I am considering are UToronto (a stretch given my GPA), UCalgary, Simon Fraser, and Memorial U of Newfoundland (specifically for my interest in the local history there). I'd like to teach or enter the research field with this degree.

My husband and I currently have $15,000 CAD saved up and I wouldn't be applying until 2020 or 2021 to give us more time to save. My husband is planning on joining me with an open work permit. If we like our time in Canada, we plan to extend our permits and try for permanent residency.

Is this a doable plan or am I better sticking to the states? And advice in general for applying to Canadian schools?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm a young professional in the US with a BA in history. My cumulative GPA is 3.66 -not the best but not terrible- and I'm looking at getting my masters in the same field.

Canadian schools are attractive given the 1 year study coarse and the relatively low cost compared to US graduate programs. I'm also interested in Canadian social history.

The four schools I am considering are UToronto (a stretch given my GPA), UCalgary, Simon Fraser, and Memorial U of Newfoundland (specifically for my interest in the local history there). I'd like to teach or enter the research field with this degree.

My husband and I currently have $15,000 CAD saved up and I wouldn't be applying until 2020 or 2021 to give us more time to save. My husband is planning on joining me with an open work permit. If we like our time in Canada, we plan to extend our permits and try for permanent residency.

Is this a doable plan or am I better sticking to the states? And advice in general for applying to Canadian schools?
What is the tuition for your program? To be approved for the study permit, you'll need to show a bank balance that covers first year tuition + $10K living expenses for yourself - you'll need to add another few K (I would suggest $5K) if you plan to have your husband come with you. So you'll likely have to at least double what you have saved before you can qualify for a study permit.

To teach at a university level you typically need a PhD and there's a great deal of competition for positions. To teach at the primary or secondary school level, you'll need to be certified to teach in Canada and should look into what this will involve. Generally speaking, Canada has more teachers than teaching positions and this is a bit of a saturated field.

If you want to translate this to PR, it's strongly advised to take a 2 year program so that you qualify for a three year PGWP.

Mar 25, 2019
Thank you for the quick response.

The programs I'm looking at run $10,000-$22,000 (the exspensive end being UToronto). So far my plan is to get a second part time job and then take out a student loan to cover the difference. I've managed to pay my undergrad debt down to $3000 US so I can afford to take one the additional loan.

Good to know on the teaching side. Maybe I should just look at research analysis instead.

Would an 8-10 month not qualify for PGWP or is it only for the two year programs?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Lots of US students who are doing undergrad and graduate studies in Canada. Tend to be able to afford better school for a decent tuition. McGill used to be the known university but that has gradually changed. Your GPA is pretty strong/. International students are evaluated in their own pool because they boost the funding for the department.