+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

long stay in U.S.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I have a question -- my wife and I landed in Canada and lived in Victoria for one year. We couldn't find any jobs at all, and I took a position in the U.S., where I worked for 11 months (I'm a U.S. citizen, my wife is Thai). I found a better job in Edmonton and we moved up there. My questions is this -- technically, in two years, we'll be able to apply for citizenship in Canada, because we'll have been here for 3/4 years, but the measurement will be quite fine . . . Would it just be better to wait for another year and have a clean three year run? Several people have commented that CIC seems to be prejudiced against long stays in the States -- but at the same time, that's where I'm from, it's normal for me to stay there. My wife spent 4 months in Thailand and 6 months in the States, and has a 10 year multiple entry visa. We're committed to Canada, but it's unlikely that we'll own a home by the time we apply; citizenship is not important for me, but it is for my wife (travelling with a Thai passport is no joke). What do people recommend?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apply when you have 3 years of physical presence (in any combination) in the last 4 years prior to the application date...doesn't have to be a straight 3 years. You must declare all absences accurately. Best to set up a spreadsheet where you record each entry date and exit date from Canada with reason e.g. vacation.

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I guess on-hold wants to know when filling in "Absences from Canada", the question being asked is "Did you leave Canada between xxxx and xxxx"? if he avoids the time period then he doesn't have to fill it in as absence. In fact I have the same question :)

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yyzhuang said:
I guess on-hold wants to know when filling in "Absences from Canada", the question being asked is "Did you leave Canada between xxxx and xxxx"? if he avoids the time period then he doesn't have to fill it in as absence. In fact I have the same question :)
My understanding of the OP is whether the absence in year 1 of the 4 year window will be an issue by creating gaps in the qualifying time line. CIC don't care how you get the 3 years as long as its in the 4 year prior to application date. You have to declare all absences with the counter being days between entry and exit. If you don't want to declare any absences sit tight in Canada for the 4 years.

LSP

Feb 21, 2013
I have stayed in canada for 4 years and 3 months from june 2008 till oct 2012, with short vacation of 2 weeks in 2010 summer and 3 weeks in 2008-9 dec-jan.

i applied in july 2011 after completing 3 years of residence.

Left canada for 6 months from oct 2012 till april 2013.

Would i have a problem with RQ?

My application is still in process.

thank you