+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Long distance girlfriend from USA wants to move here

Devmoo

Oct 31, 2018
Hey guys I need a little help I've been dating my girlfriend long distance for 3 years now and she's visited here (Vancouver BC) twice now. She really likes it here and wants to move in with me.

I have a few questions regarding how she can stay

1. If she wants to study, I'm assuming she has to pay international fees correct? As well as does she have to prove to somebody (either the government or the school's) that she can afford to stay here? Because she will be living with me and I'll support her.

2. Would she be eligible for a Holiday working visa? I have some coworkers from Japan that have that visa.

3. How long would it take to apply or be eligible for common law?

4. Would marriage speed up the process by any means?

5. Is duo citizenship still a thing, could we have both USA and Canada citizenship if we married

Thanks guys hope you can clear things up it's so confusing.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hey guys I need a little help I've been dating my girlfriend long distance for 3 years now and she's visited here (Vancouver BC) twice now. She really likes it here and wants to move in with me.

1. If she wants to study, I'm assuming she has to pay international fees correct? As well as does she have to prove to somebody (either the government or the school's) that she can afford to stay here? Because she will be living with me and I'll support her.

2. Would she be eligible for a Holiday working visa? I have some coworkers from Japan that have that visa.

5. Is duo citizenship still a thing, could we have both USA and Canada citizenship if we married

1. She would need to apply for a study permit. Part of that application is proving that you can pay for it. Yes, international student fees.

2. Possibly. Example : http://www.swap.ca/in_eng/

3. Common law : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/assessing-common.html

4. Possibly, as long as the relationship is genuine and not entered into for immigration purposes.

5. Both countries permit dual citizenship. It is NOT automatically acquired. Each country has it's own naturalization processes.

Devmoo

Oct 31, 2018
1. She would need to apply for a study permit. Part of that application is proving that you can pay for it. Yes, international student fees.

2. Possibly. Example : http://www.swap.ca/in_eng/

3. Common law : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/assessing-common.html

4. Possibly, as long as the relationship is genuine and not entered into for immigration purposes.

5. Both countries permit dual citizenship. It is NOT automatically acquired. Each country has it's own naturalization processes.
Thanks man! When you say she has to prove she can pay for the fees of the course, does that mean she has to prove she can pay for living expenses too, or just the course fee? And can that money be acquired from anywhere (perhaps a student loan) or they want something from her bank?

I think I can support us for a whwhi that's why I need to know if they will still let her in if she can just pay the course.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks man! When you say she has to prove she can pay for the fees of the course, does that mean she has to prove she can pay for living expenses too, or just the course fee? And can that money be acquired from anywhere (perhaps a student loan) or they want something from her bank?

I think I can support us for a whwhi that's why I need to know if they will still let her in if she can just pay the course.
She'll need to show that she has sufficient funds to cover first year tuition fees + $10K in living expenses. Generally this means she will need to show a bank balance of at least $25K (could be more depending on first year tuition levels). Yes - she can obtain that money from a student loan - but must be able to show she has it to get the study visa approved.

Devmoo

Oct 31, 2018
She'll need to show that she has sufficient funds to cover first year tuition fees + $10K in living expenses. Generally this means she will need to show a bank balance of at least $25K (could be more depending on first year tuition levels). Yes - she can obtain that money from a student loan - but must be able to show she has it to get the study visa approved.
Oh wow thanks. So basically she will need her tuition fee costs (plus the amount she gets charged for being international) and an addition 10k or more I'm assuming CAD?

Is there anyway we could use my bank balance or let them know that I can support her? She doesn't have the additional 10k right now. I guess she will have to save it up.

Is sponsorship the same as common law? In any situation where we didn't work out (obviously that's not the plan) what would happen? Could she go back to USA or would I be responsible for a certain time frame? Just curious.

Thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Oh wow thanks. So basically she will need her tuition fee costs (plus the amount she gets charged for being international) and an addition 10k or more I'm assuming CAD?

Is there anyway we could use my bank balance or let them know that I can support her? She doesn't have the additional 10k right now. I guess she will have to save it up.

Is sponsorship the same as common law? In any situation where we didn't work out (obviously that's not the plan) what would happen? Could she go back to USA or would I be responsible for a certain time frame? Just curious.

Thanks!
Sponsorship is what happens AFTER you qualify as either a married or common-law couple.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you sponsor her for permanent residency after either getting married or becoming common law, you are responsible for her financially for three years after that. This means that if she goes on welfare / social assistance during those three years you would be responsible for paying this money back to the government.

For the study permit, sure - you can be the one who provides the additional funds to cover her living expenses. You'll need to provide a bank statement to prove you have these funds and you would also want to include something like an affidavit confirming that you will support her studies.

Devmoo

Oct 31, 2018
If you sponsor her for permanent residency after either getting married or becoming common law, you are responsible for her financially for three years after that. This means that if she goes on welfare / social assistance during those three years you would be responsible for paying this money back to the government.

For the study permit, sure - you can be the one who provides the additional funds to cover her living expenses. You'll need to provide a bank statement to prove you have these funds and you would also want to include something like an affidavit confirming that you will support her studies.
Oh wow very helpful thank you!

If she chooses to move back to America if during those 3 years, would the Sponsorship still be active? or could one of us withdrawal from it or is it set in stone?
Also I heard I need to show 3 concurrent years of income and stability to sponsor I assume? which I don't have.

I think I might go the route showing that I can support her while she studies that sounds great.

Thanks guys.

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes

Buddy,
I’m from the USA and my girlfriend lives here in Toronto. I came here 1.5 years ago as a visitor then applied for a study permit by exiting Canada at the closest land border (niagra falls is mine) and turning around in the USA and coming back to Canada. US Citizens can apply for study permits and work permits at any Point of entry. If she wishes to go to school I would look into Salliemae for student loans because they are the only loan company in the US that will provide financial help for students wishing to study in Canada. If your girlfriend decides to study for at least 2 years and finishes her program she will be eligible for a work permit up to 2-3 years. Also if you guys live together for one year you will be eligible to sponsor via common law sponsorship route.

Devmoo

Oct 31, 2018
Buddy,
I’m from the USA and my girlfriend lives here in Toronto. I came here 1.5 years ago as a visitor then applied for a study permit by exiting Canada at the closest land border (niagra falls is mine) and turning around in the USA and coming back to Canada. US Citizens can apply for study permits and work permits at any Point of entry. If she wishes to go to school I would look into Salliemae for student loans because they are the only loan company in the US that will provide financial help for students wishing to study in Canada. If your girlfriend decides to study for at least 2 years and finishes her program she will be eligible for a work permit up to 2-3 years. Also if you guys live together for one year you will be eligible to sponsor via common law sponsorship route.
Oh thanks for the tip!

Question, why did you have to leave Canada to apply for the study permit, can't she just apply within Canada online or whatever?

Thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Oh wow very helpful thank you!

If she chooses to move back to America if during those 3 years, would the Sponsorship still be active? or could one of us withdrawal from it or is it set in stone?
Also I heard I need to show 3 concurrent years of income and stability to sponsor I assume? which I don't have.

I think I might go the route showing that I can support her while she studies that sounds great.

Thanks guys.
Once activated, the sponsorship is unconditionally in place for 3 years from the date of becoming a PR. Even if you break up/divorce... You are on the hook for those 3 years AND you would be barred from sponsoring another partner within those 3 years as well.

There is no minimum income required for sponsorship of a spouse/common-law partner.

cindyestteacher

Nov 16, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-08-2018
Doc's Request.
15-11-2018
AOR Received.
13-09-2018
Med's Request
15-11-2018
Med's Done....
28-11-2018
I moved in with my boyfriend ( I am a US citizen.) in May of 2017. After 4 months (before my 6 months time ran out) I applied for a 1 year visitor extension to give us time to be eligible for common law status (1 year living together). Now, I have applied for a 2nd visitor extension plus we have also sent in our paperwork for my PR as he is my sponsor and an Open Work Permit for me. ( I was a teacher in the US.) I STRONGLY recommend going to your local MP's office and getting their assistance. The local MP's office here reviewed my partner's tax and bank statement and wrote a letter which I included to show he could support me while I am here. Good luck to you both! :)