+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Location on Open Work Permit

papercrane

Aug 17, 2018
Hi everyone.
I'm holding an Open work permit with a specified employment location in the 'Additional Information', not in the 'Conditions'. To my knowledge, Employment Location does not restrict myself on the location as long as the information is not listed in the 'Conditions'.

There's also a similar Q&A on CIC Help center website but they're mentioning about Co-op work permit: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1414&_ga=2.16657590.1272506139.1534324579-1220857251.1532984383

Unfortunately my new employer does not accept this and asks me to call CIC Help line to clarify and puts my offer on hold. I've been trying to call CIC Help line these days but unable to speak to an agent, even if I call early in the morning at 8:00. I've been trying many times again during the day but still unsuccessful. Their automatic operator simply said that due to high demand, they couldn't transfer my call to an agent and told me to try again later. Can anyone suggest me anything I can do?

Thanks a lot.

bonbonwang

Aug 17, 2018
As OWP, you do not have a close work permit with a specific institution, you are allowed to work anywhere in Canada. We had the same problem before. When I applied OWP for my husband, we planed to live in AB. But after we got the visa, I decided to take a school offer in ON and then we onboard in ON. However, the employment location on my husband’s work permit is Edmonton based on my original application. Now, he has been legally worked in ON for two years and we are pretty sure his employer called cic and got it confirmed before hired him.

shashipandeyy

Aug 29, 2017
Hi everyone.
I'm holding an Open work permit with a specified employment location in the 'Additional Information', not in the 'Conditions'. To my knowledge, Employment Location does not restrict myself on the location as long as the information is not listed in the 'Conditions'.

There's also a similar Q&A on CIC Help center website but they're mentioning about Co-op work permit: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1414&_ga=2.16657590.1272506139.1534324579-1220857251.1532984383

Unfortunately my new employer does not accept this and asks me to call CIC Help line to clarify and puts my offer on hold. I've been trying to call CIC Help line these days but unable to speak to an agent, even if I call early in the morning at 8:00. I've been trying many times again during the day but still unsuccessful. Their automatic operator simply said that due to high demand, they couldn't transfer my call to an agent and told me to try again later. Can anyone suggest me anything I can do?

Thanks a lot.
Hey,

Did you find a solution to this problem.. I have the same issue, my employer took back the offer saying I cannot work in Ontario as the location in my work permit has Vancouver. I could contact the customer care once and they said it is not going to be an issue and I can work anywhere in Canada but my employer did not buy that and now I cannot connect with CIC again. I have just lost a very good job and I havent even done anything to deserve it.

Regards,
Shashi Pandey

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hey,

Did you find a solution to this problem.. I have the same issue, my employer took back the offer saying I cannot work in Ontario as the location in my work permit has Vancouver. I could contact the customer care once and they said it is not going to be an issue and I can work anywhere in Canada but my employer did not buy that and now I cannot connect with CIC again. I have just lost a very good job and I havent even done anything to deserve it.
1) What kind of permit do you have, is it a PGWP?
2) Did you receive the offer in writing? Did you sign a contract?

Last edited:

shashipandeyy

Aug 29, 2017
1) What kind of permit do you have, is it a PGWP?
2) Did you receive the offer in writing?
Hello,

Thanks for the reply.
I have an Open work permit and CIC said I can work anywhere I want in Canada. Yes, I recieved the official offer in writing and also went through with the background check but sadly was revoked by the HR.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I have an Open work permit

SIGH. What KIND of open work permit? On what basis do you qualify for an open work permit?

Yes, I recieved the official offer in writing and also went through with the background check but sadly was revoked by the HR.

Was it revoked in writing? Did they explicitly state the reason for rescinding the offer was because of your work permit?

I'm asking these questions because the problem is not with immigration, the problem is with your ex-future-employer. If what you have stated is all the relevant facts, based on this, they broke a contract with you without cause (being too lazy to contact IRCC to verify your employment eligibility is not a good reason to break a contract). Which means, if you have the stomach for it, you could (probably) sue them. Might be worth a consultation with an Ontario lawyer.

papercrane

Aug 17, 2018
Hey,

Regards,
Shashi Pandey
Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear your case but I cannot advise you anything as I did lose the job. Mine was a casual job offer and on my training day, they asked to see the docs and saw the specified 'Location' on my WP and said they couldn't offer me any future working shifts until I could clarify with CIC. They did pay me the my training day though.

shashipandeyy

Aug 29, 2017
Hello again,

I have an open work permit bacause my husband works in Canada.
Also, in the rescinding email she only said I did not clear my background verification but then when I told her that CIC confirmed that this should not be an issue she reverted saying the first advantage team has confirmed that I cannot work in Ontario.
Getting back at them is not the first priority I have right now but yes as soon as I have a job and I am bit stable here I will contact a lawyer and see what can be done so that they dont do this to others.
Thank you so much!!

Reactions: jes_ON

shashipandeyy

Aug 29, 2017
Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear your case but I cannot advise you anything as I did lose the job. Mine was a casual job offer and on my training day, they asked to see the docs and saw the specified 'Location' on my WP and said they couldn't offer me any future working shifts until I could clarify with CIC. They did pay me the my training day though.
Hey,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes it was bad but things happen .. Hope you have a new job now and you corrected the document.
Do you know if I have to send my original work permit to Ottawa or a copy would do?
I found this on CIC https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5218-request-amend-record-landing-confirmation-permanent-residence-valid-temporary-resident-documents.html#gather

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I have an open work permit bacause my husband works in Canada.
OK, Spouse open work permit (SOWP).

Also, in the rescinding email she only said I did not clear my background verification but then when I told her that CIC confirmed that this should not be an issue she reverted saying the first advantage team has confirmed that I cannot work in Ontario.
Argh. They used a 3rd party company for background checks, ... If you decide to talk to a lawyer, this is an important detail ...

Here's the thing, since you were on an SOWP - which is issued on the basis of your spouse's permit - the rules are different than for a PWGP...
It does matter "what kind of work permit" you have... I don't personally know enough about SOWPs to know if the restrictions on your husband's permit also apply to you. I don't think so, but not 100% sure...

Last edited:
May 20, 2021
Hey,

Regards,
Shashi Pandey

Hi shashi, did you find any solution?

Jan 8, 2020
Hey,

Regards,
Shashi Pandey
Hi Shashi, did you solve your problem?

flash222

Star Member
May 19, 2017
Canada
Hi everyone.

Thanks a lot.
Hello PaperCrane! Im just wondering what you did abt this location restriction. We are in the same dilemma now. Pls enlighten us.