+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMO for Current Position

jr1

Apr 30, 2012
Hi,

Bit of background info: I'm a web developer working for a company in Toronto. This isn't really a generic web development role as I have built up a great deal of knowledge about the company's website and custom built a lot of the core of it myself with highly tailored solutions. I am currently on the second year of my IEC visa, which expires in September.

I have been tasked with advising my company on the LMO process so that they can keep me, as we're a small company and this is not something they've done before. I've been informed before that already working at the company has no bearing on whether my LMO will be accepted, so now my questions relate to how my company should approach the application, as it seems to me that the whole LMO process seems geared towards new employees and it doesn't seem like there is that much information out there regarding applying for existing employees.

First of all, the problem is with advertising my position. Will they be able to provide evidence of trying to hire Canadians prior to my starting there (October 2011), or will they essentially have to act like they are trying to replace me before they send the application by re-advertising my position?

My second question is.. I am applying for the LMO now, so that if it were to be unsuccessful I would have plenty of time to explore other visa routes, including CEC if the changes for 1 year work experience come into effect as expected in Jan. However, I can see this working against me as they could just turn around and say my company has plenty of time to hire a replacement, which is true, but as I said, we're a small company who works extremely hard and we wouldn't have the time to train up a replacement. So I'm a bit uneasy about this. Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading and any help offered

Cheers.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I am sure you have already checked out this and other sites. http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/ei_tfw/lmi_tfw.shtml

Your company will have to advertise for a minimum of 14 days in the three months prior to applying for the LMO and provide details of any local applicants and why they were not suitable candidates. Good luck.

jr1

Apr 30, 2012
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if I have to wait until near the end of my current IEC visa to apply for this, or is my IEC visa irrelevent?

Thanks.

sypnicole

Oct 22, 2012
jr1 said:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if I have to wait until near the end of my current IEC visa to apply for this, or is my IEC visa irrelevent?

Thanks.
Hi there,

My employer applied LMO before my Working Holiday Visa running out but for some reason nobody there to send out the informations that HSDCRS needed after they received my application forms and they don't know they have to advertise GOD~~~ and make it delay as my visa will be done less than 25days so don't care about if they will approve or not just apply it and give them all the informations. They will consider if you are the right person or not and it out of our control. The LMO is easier for the person who already work for the company for awhile.
I am gonna to apply WP prior i got news from LMO to extend my stay.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
LMOs can take 12 - 14 wks, so make sure the employer puts the advertisement in the required places well in advance of your permit expiring. If you put in your work permit renewal before the LMO is received the WP will be denied.