+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Question and clarification

prada09

Jun 11, 2024
I’ve just been through this. If you are here, working and you have 6 months (At least) to a year left on your work permit, it’s enough to apply for “sponsor”. This option doesn’t cost your employer anything.

if you have less than 6 months on your work permit go for dual intent. This means that if it is approved you can receive a work permit and have your extra 50 points without having to wait for a year of working for that employer. However, this option, as with any other LMIA for work permit purposes, will cost your employer $1000. Key word is that your employer pays for this. Not you. Never you. It’s the law.

My employer applied twice for sponsorship for me, and both got closed due to missing documents. I was on implied status for a while, then out of status, and that is why I say have at least 6 months left on your current work permit. Luckily I had a job offer from a guy who wouldn’t give up so he put in a third application for dual intent, just before christmas. It sailed through in a month (the holidays got in there) and I flag poled for the work permit. Start working on Monday. My LMIA is in my EE profile points added. Unless CIC computers break down tomorrow, or there is a pnp/fst draw instead of non program specific, I have enough point to get ITA for sure.
Hey! do u know why it was close? in my case, they closed it and never communicated about it until we called the center and found out. Were u able to resubmit with the updated documents or did they have to do the whole recruitment process again for the sponsorship?