+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA on Implied status

eeeeeeeeeeee

Feb 19, 2020
Hey everyone, I'm currently working for a company on implied status after PGWP expiration.

I’ve applied for WP by paper to get implied status before expiration while waiting for my LMIA.

Then my original WP expired and right after I got the LMIA from a company I work for.

I have a few questions:

1. Can I apply for another WP using LMIA while I’m on implied status while previous WP application still in review? Can I keep working if so?
2. In my situation, can I or should I rather do a flagpole to remove the ambiguity of my status by getting the LMIA based WP at POE?
3. I've also been accepted in this round of Express Entry to apply for PR. Should I wait to sort this WP situation out or it's safe to fill up the application and continue PR application process?

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey everyone, I'm currently working for a company on implied status after PGWP expiration.

I’ve applied for WP by paper to get implied status before expiration while waiting for my LMIA.

Then my original WP expired and right after I got the LMIA from a company I work for.

I have a few questions:

1. Can I apply for another WP using LMIA while I’m on implied status while previous WP application still in review? Can I keep working if so?
2. In my situation, can I or should I rather do a flagpole to remove the ambiguity of my status by getting the LMIA based WP at POE?
3. I've also been accepted in this round of Express Entry to apply for PR. Should I wait to sort this WP situation out or it's safe to fill up the application and continue PR application process?

Thank you
You didn’t have implied status if you applied for a work permit without an LMIA. i assume you have stopped working.

eeeeeeeeeeee

Feb 19, 2020
You didn’t have implied status if you applied for a work permit without an LMIA. i assume you have stopped working.
I can keep working until my current work permit application is refused or rejected, which hasn't happened yet. Even without LMIA they still need to review it before decision. Hence, I'm on implied status.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I can keep working until my current work permit application is refused or rejected, which hasn't happened yet. Even without LMIA they still need to review it before decision. Hence, I'm on implied status.
Sorry I thought you had received a reply. You submitted a work permit application without qualifying for one so it should be refused. At that point you’ll be out of status from the end of your PGWP.

eeeeeeeeeeee

Feb 19, 2020
Sorry I thought you had received a reply. You submitted a work permit application without qualifying for one so it should be refused. At that point you’ll be out of status from the end of your PGWP.
I'm aware of that, the questions in my case were:

Thank you

LUOSTORY

Feb 19, 2020
I'm aware of that, the questions in my case were:

Thank you
1. I think you have got extend wp case number# from CIC and try to link it with your online cic account. Then submit your approved LMIA, CIC will review but it should take at least 3 months i guess. During this time, you can keep working cause you are in implied status.
2, It is really adventure to get closed WP base on your LMIA in POE if you do not have any valid visa. Also, the CBSA officer will ask you a lot of questions. you must answer carefully and document well prepared. I'm not recommend, but this way is the fast way to get your closed wp.
3.better to keep going to fill up your application because you still in legal status even implied status.

eeeeeeeeeeee

Feb 19, 2020
1. I think you have got extend wp case number# from CIC and try to link it with your online cic account. Then submit your approved LMIA, CIC will review but it should take at least 3 months i guess. During this time, you can keep working cause you are in implied status.
2, It is really adventure to get closed WP base on your LMIA in POE if you do not have any valid visa. Also, the CBSA officer will ask you a lot of questions. you must answer carefully and document well prepared. I'm not recommend, but this way is the fast way to get your closed wp.
3.better to keep going to fill up your application because you still in legal status even implied status.
All make sense, thank you for your answer.

For anyone wondering, I've called CIC and they helped me by putting a note with LMIA number for processing center, so when they review, they will call me to verify the information and possibly proceed to give me my closed WP.

And I'm proceeding with filling up my PR application, not sure about what will happen if my status changes while my PR application in review. Will have to research this a bit more.

Thanks everyone!