+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA Inquiry

BlueWhalez

Jan 1, 2024
Happy new year,

A background story: I work for a financial firm in India with 4 years of experience. My firm has locations in Alberta and will be able to get me an LMIA. I am currently at 481 CRS and the LMIA would put me at 531 which would mean I would get an ITA and PR.

Am I compelled to work for the company after landing in Canada? After my ITA, and COPR, and I land in Canada am I allowed to work for any other employer? I would like to do my Masters after I land in Canada on permanent residency.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Happy new year,

A background story: I work for a financial firm in India with 4 years of experience. My firm has locations in Alberta and will be able to get me an LMIA. I am currently at 481 CRS and the LMIA would put me at 531 which would mean I would get an ITA and PR.

Am I compelled to work for the company after landing in Canada? After my ITA, and COPR, and I land in Canada am I allowed to work for any other employer? I would like to do my Masters after I land in Canada on permanent residency.
What type of LMIA? If transferring you then it is LMIA exempt. You don’t get 50 points until you have a year of Canadian work experience. So you need the approved LMIA exemption and then apply for a closed work permit.

BlueWhalez

Jan 1, 2024
What type of LMIA? If transferring you then it is LMIA exempt. You don’t get 50 points until you have a year of Canadian work experience. So you need the approved LMIA exemption and then apply for a closed work permit.
It's a dual intent LMIA. (PR supporting LMIA)

Why would I need a year of canadian experience? I'm not going to be applying for a work permit when my CRS is high enough for express entry.

They have the same position in Canada and my manager is in touch with a manager in canada to get an LMIA for the same position so I can get my PR through Express entry. However after my PR am I compelled to come to canada and work for them?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It's a dual intent LMIA. (PR supporting LMIA)

Why would I need a year of canadian experience? I'm not going to be applying for a work permit when my CRS is high enough for express entry.

They have the same position in Canada and my manager is in touch with a manager in canada to get an LMIA for the same position so I can get my PR through Express entry. However after my PR am I compelled to come to canada and work for them?
So they are going through the LMIA process without you working in the position and have a job vacancy. So they have to post the job in Canada to job sites and go through the hiring process and prove no Canadian can do the job. They have to show that they are actively recruiting for the position in Canada, and meet LMIA eligibility. So the company (not manager) will have to approve the process.

The company can complain and have your PR revoked, if you come and never work for them yes. It is possible.