+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA, half way through 2 year work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
playtheman said:
Im pretty sure my NOC is 'B' right now, Like I said job is specific as its hand built one off wooden windows, specialty stuff that we make for other companies.

They have suggested I become a manager of my area and are the ones that asked me to stay in Canada.
You need to provide your actual NOC #. Various NOC Bs have wildly different median wages - so saying you're a B doesn't help. A NOC number looks something like this: 1122 (i.e. four numbers).

You must figure out your NOC before you can even apply for an LMIA.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
playtheman said:
Im pretty sure my NOC is 'B' right now, Like I said job is specific as its hand built one off wooden windows, specialty stuff that we make for other companies.

They have suggested I become a manager of my area and are the ones that asked me to stay in Canada.
They are willing to do whatever it takes (With in reason)

When I thought it would cost him 1k CAD he just said, get all the information and lets talk about it.
Don't make mistakes. It's 1K for the LMIA application, then your employer needs to pay for advertisements. That's another 1K more or less, on approved media outlets, websites & so on. Monster Job itself is $500 for 30 days with promotion.

In that +10 bracket are people whom start as a student go through 6 years (more or less) of study and then get a PGWP and then if they still qualify they can apply for a PR.

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
rezafc said:
Don't make mistakes. It's 1K for the LMIA application, then your employer needs to pay for advertisements. That's another 1K more or less, on approved media outlets, websites & so on. Monster Job itself is $500 for 30 days with promotion.

In that +10 bracket are people whom start as a student go through 6 years (more or less) of study and then get a PGWP and then if they still qualify they can apply for a PR.
Don't need to pay the 1k for the application I thought? I still have enough time left on my work permit. And I'm not worried about my employer wanting me to stay. He is the one asking what he can do, says they have plans for me if I stay (so I need to talk to him more yes)

That's good for those people, but I don't plan on going to school.

I do appropriate the replies by the way. :)

scylla said:
You need to provide your actual NOC #. Various NOC Bs have wildly different median wages - so saying you're a B doesn't help. A NOC number looks something like this: 1122 (i.e. four numbers).

You must figure out your NOC before you can even apply for an LMIA.
Yea, Ive been searching! But I can't find a specific number for my current job. or the job title I would be promoted too.
It's supervisor of custom wood window assembly.
Looking after wood working machine operators, digital saws, end milling wood.
Joining, metal cutting.

I can't find exactly what I do/ would do.

9227 is as close as I can see, foreman of door and sash assembly. (This is what we briefly discussed my new position would be)

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
No problem,

This forum is your best friend from now on. Read old threats, ask as many questions as you have, but do your thorough research first. Seems like you are on the right path.

For NOC try to find the next closest code to your job. I'm not an NOC expert but I'm pretty sure there is one out there for you.

Best of luck,

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
rezafc said:
No problem,

This forum is your best friend from now on. Read old threats, ask as many questions as you have, but do your thorough research first. Seems like you are on the right path.

For NOC try to find the next closest code to your job. I'm not an NOC expert but I'm pretty sure there is one out there for you.

Best of luck,
Thank you for help, really means a lot, this process can get confusing at times!
So NOC is a guideline? not 100% set in stone.

I think the main thing I need to know, is does the NOC I use on my application have to reflect my current job or a potential permanent job offer?
And does the wage of the Job offer mean more than current wage?

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
playtheman said:
So NOC is a guideline? not 100% set in stone.

I think the main thing I need to know, is does the NOC I use on my application have to reflect my current job or a potential permanent job offer?
And does the wage of the Job offer mean more than current wage?
No, you will need to pick a NOC code, that is going to be your profession. That NOC code is going to define your job. Finding the closest NOC code that matches your current job duties is the next best step if you don't have a dedicated NOC code.

Also the government needs to make sure you are getting paid the Median Wage. Look at this page: http://bit.ly/29gqmLL
The median wage (not minimum) for a web developer NOC (2175) is $24.99 in British Columbia. Your employer needs to make sure that they pay you that amount at least, if you are in BC, under a full time, permanent job offer.

Do more research.

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
rezafc said:
No, you will need to pick a NOC code, that is going to be your profession. That NOC code is going to define your job. Finding the closest NOC code that matches your current job duties is the next best step if you don't have a dedicated NOC code.

Also the government needs to make sure you are getting paid the Median Wage. Look at this page:
The median wage (not minimum) for a web developer NOC (2175) is $24.99 in British Columbia. Your employer needs to make sure that they pay you that amount at least, if you are in BC, under a full time, permanent job offer.

Do more research.
It says the median is N/A for where I am in Alberta (ie the city) for NOC (9227) but its $28.89 hr overall.
So they must give me a permanent job offer of 28 hr at the least?

But I can continue earning the wage I am getting now until I get them to offer me the LMIA approved position, pending PR obviously.

I am reading other threads and googling, but thank you for the good advice mate!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
playtheman said:
It says the median is N/A for where I am in Alberta (ie the city) for NOC (9227) but its $28.89 hr overall.
So they must give me a permanent job offer of 28 hr at the least?

But I can continue earning the wage I am getting now until I get them to offer me the LMIA approved position, pending PR obviously.

I am reading other threads and googling, but thank you for the good advice mate!
Yes - this means the job offer they advertise must have a wage of at least $28.87 / hour. And yes - the job must be permanent.

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
scylla said:
Yes - this means the job offer they advertise must have a wage of at least $28.87 / hour. And yes - the job must be permanent.
Okay, so what happens if I get the job offer (with LMIA) then get PR, work for the employer but they go out of business or have to lay me off? (Its Alberta, anything could happen, touch wood, but I have seen companies like us shut down, we employ the staff from some)
Does that effect my PR? or is it once I get the PR I'm safe to find other work?

I am sorry if these questions are answered in other threads. Having a hard time finding exact info.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
playtheman said:
Okay, so what happens if I get the job offer (with LMIA) then get PR, work for the employer but they go out of business or have to lay me off? (Its Alberta, anything could happen, touch wood, but I have seen companies like us shut down, we employ the staff from some)
Does that effect my PR? or is it once I get the PR I'm safe to find other work?

I am sorry if these questions are answered in other threads. Having a hard time finding exact info.
That is why the government tries to make the LMIA as difficult to obtain as they can for your employer to make sure you are in the safe zone. They want to protect you. So if they find out that your employer is not capable of pulling the job offer, or is not eligble you will have a refused LMIA.

And yes once you are PR you are free to change your employer. But there is a contract (full time job offer) that your employer is going to make you sign, and they have to sign it too for LMIA application. Under that contract you are bound to work for your employer unless other wise it is mentioned somewhere. To possibly terminate the contract.

It all should be written in your LMIA papers. Doing other wise you are misrepresenting the case. And that is not a good step to take from the beginning.

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
rezafc said:
That is why the government tries to make the LMIA as difficult to obtain as they can for your employer to make sure you are in the safe zone. They want to protect you. So if they find out that your employer is not capable of pulling the job offer, or is not eligble you will have a refused LMIA.

And yes once you are PR you are free to change your employer. But there is a contract (full time job offer) that your employer is going to make you sign, and they have to sign it too for LMIA application. Under that contract you are bound to work for your employer unless other wise it is mentioned somewhere. To possibly terminate the contract.

It all should be written in your LMIA papers. Doing other wise you are misrepresenting the case. And that is not a good step to take from the beginning.
So I am protected through my contract :D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
playtheman said:
So I am protected through my contract :D
I wouldn't say that necessarily. Contracts are typically very easily terminated by your employer.

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
scylla said:
I wouldn't say that necessarily. Contracts are typically very easily terminated by your employer.
Hmmm,

I basically need this LMIA or else I have to leave Canada.

Wont have enough points without it.

I'm worried about it.

Do you know how long a LMIA takes?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
jwadhwa08 said:
I am B tech in Electrical Engg , 2009 batch, 61 % degree, 5 back logs
4 years of work experience in Income tax deptt (non technical)

A consultant recently told me that I can't apply for Masters in Univ as my percentage is very low and there's a gap of more than 5 years in my education ...is it true???

So I am planning to go for PG Diploma from IIT gandhinagar(1 year course) next year then apply for masters in canada??...

............Is it a good idea or worth it................please guide me
instead of hijacking a totally unrelated thread why not post in the international student thread where might get an answer. In fact seems you have posted the same question multiple times (15 i think ) so why do you think you will get any sensible answer doing that ? Maybe you will get the same answer that many times as same people tend to read multiple threads.