+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA for express entry while on IEC

Jul 2, 2019
Hello,

Hopefully somebody can help me with this question. I am currently working in Canada on an open IEC work permit (international experience Canada). I will be entering the express entry pool in September when I have my year of experience with my employer here. They are wanting to give me an official job offer to help as part of my EE application, however the LMIA requirements part is confusing me.

I've read in lots of places that if you are currently on a work permit that is part of an international agreement then any job offers are LMIA exempt. It seems that my IEC visa is part of these agreements so does that mean my Canadian employer can give me an official job offer in September without an LMIA, and I'll get the 50 CRS points for this?

Sorry if this sounds obvious but I'm reading conflicting things about this!

Thanks!

alissanb

Star Member
Mar 27, 2019
I also have the same question and have read conflicting things! I am hoping someone knows the answer.

doge

Mar 29, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-03-2017
AOR Received.
22-03-2017
Med's Done....
19-04-2017
Passport Req..
28-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2017
LANDED..........
09-08-2017
I also have the same question and have read conflicting things! I am hoping someone knows the answer.
LMIA exempt simply means that you can work in Canada without LMIA.

You basically need to get LMIA to continue to work once your IEC status expires.

You cannot claim 50 CRS points as it is only for people who has LMIA.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Hopefully somebody can help me with this question. I am currently working in Canada on an open IEC work permit (international experience Canada). I will be entering the express entry pool in September when I have my year of experience with my employer here. They are wanting to give me an official job offer to help as part of my EE application, however the LMIA requirements part is confusing me.

I've read in lots of places that if you are currently on a work permit that is part of an international agreement then any job offers are LMIA exempt. It seems that my IEC visa is part of these agreements so does that mean my Canadian employer can give me an official job offer in September without an LMIA, and I'll get the 50 CRS points for this?

Sorry if this sounds obvious but I'm reading conflicting things about this!

Thanks!
No - you won't get 50 points if the employer gives you a job offer. Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to qualify for the 50 points.

You can only claim the 50 points on an LMIA exempt work permit if your employer is named on the actual work permit AND you also work for your employer for one full year. However an IEC has no employer listed - so that's why an LMIA is needed.

Jul 2, 2019
No - you won't get 50 points if the employer gives you a job offer. Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to qualify for the 50 points.

You can only claim the 50 points on an LMIA exempt work permit if your employer is named on the actual work permit AND you also work for your employer for one full year. However an IEC has no employer listed - so that's why an LMIA is needed.
Thanks for the reply!