+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA approval for open work permits

PurtiDesai

Feb 22, 2022
I have about 1.5 years of work experience in Canada in NOC 2282 (1year) and 2172(roughly 6 months). I recently created my Express Entry profile. My current job is a temporary position (2172), although my previous job (2282) with 1 year experience was a full time permanent job. My CRS score is 434. So I stated that I have a job offer. Further it asks me whether I have an approved LMIA for my job offer. Why should I need a positive LMIA if I am currently on an open work permit? Please help ASAP as my current open work permit expires in May 2022

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have about 1.5 years of work experience in Canada in NOC 2282 (1year) and 2172(roughly 6 months). I recently created my Express Entry profile. My current job is a temporary position (2172), although my previous job (2282) with 1 year experience was a full time permanent job. My CRS score is 434. So I stated that I have a job offer. Further it asks me whether I have an approved LMIA for my job offer. Why should I need a positive LMIA if I am currently on an open work permit? Please help ASAP as my current open work permit expires in May 2022
If you want to claim job offer points (extra 50 points), then you need an approved LMIA. Because you are on an open work permit with no employer named, you can't benefit from the job offer points unless your employer gets an LMIA. You should answer "no" to the job offer question. What you have doesn't qualify as a job offer under EE.

Reactions: Naturgrl

PurtiDesai

Feb 22, 2022
Thanks for your response! So basically only because I have an open work permit, I will not be eligible for those extra 50 points?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your response! So basically only because I have an open work permit, I will not be eligible for those extra 50 points?
Yes, because you are on an open work permit, you are only eligible for the 50 points if your employer gets an approved LMIA.

PurtiDesai

Feb 22, 2022
I researched a little about Job Offers for Express Entry applicants. It will be considered that I have a valid job offer if I meet the following criteria:
1. Employer supports the job offer (Employer helps to fill out the 8-9 paged form)
2. Employer meets the criteria of having a million dollar turnover annually

Is this true? If yes then will I be considered eligible irrespective of having a permanent or temporary job offer letter? Please help

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I researched a little about Job Offers for Express Entry applicants. It will be considered that I have a valid job offer if I meet the following criteria:
1. Employer supports the job offer (Employer helps to fill out the 8-9 paged form)
2. Employer meets the criteria of having a million dollar turnover annually

Is this true? If yes then will I be considered eligible irrespective of having a permanent or temporary job offer letter? Please help
You need a LMIA since you are on an open work permit, if you want the 50 points.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html

PurtiDesai

Feb 22, 2022
Thanks @Naturgrl for your response and clarifying LMIA for me!

Given the current temporary job offer letter (and considering my previous job with full time permanent job offer) will I be eligible for the International Students Stream under OINP?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks @Naturgrl for your response and clarifying LMIA for me!

Given the current temporary job offer letter (and considering my previous job with full time permanent job offer) will I be eligible for the International Students Stream under OINP?
Read through the requirements. Your job must be full-time and permanent, and your employer must meet its own requirements and sign off.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/oinp-employer-job-offer-international-student-stream#section-3

PurtiDesai

Feb 22, 2022
Alright.. So a full time and permanent job offer is a must.
Currently I'm just looking for ways to extend my stay here in order to buy me some more time to get an invited through Express Entry. My work permit expires in May 2022. If I enroll in a full time course starting in May this year, will that work in my interest of not having to leave the country?

Also, is there any other solution so that I do not have to leave the country in May, just in case Human Capital or CEC draws don't happen?

PurtiDesai

Feb 22, 2022
Hii,

I am writing this post again because it has become really important for me to find a way to maintain my legal status in Canada.
I qualify for the FSWP and CEC category… but no draws have been taken recently.
I was reviewing the requirements again and came across ECA. I have completed a diploma course from Sheridan College in Canada and did my high school from India before that.
Do I need to have an ECA?
Please help asap

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hii,

I am writing this post again because it has become really important for me to find a way to maintain my legal status in Canada.
I qualify for the FSWP and CEC category… but no draws have been taken recently.
I was reviewing the requirements again and came across ECA. I have completed a diploma course from Sheridan College in Canada and did my high school from India before that.
Do I need to have an ECA?
Please help asap
For high school education, no. It will not give you extra points.

PurtiDesai

Feb 22, 2022
If I get admission in a university program that starts in May 2022, will I be able to stay in the country on that study permit issued? (Given that my work permit expires in May 2022)