+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA application - pending

vaffan405

Jul 13, 2022
Current situation is that my lawyer applied for both LMIA and extension of the current work permit 3.5 months ago.

In the meantime, we got the work permit extension refused as the LMIA hadn’t been processed.

I currently have 90 days to restore my status and not eligible to work.

Does anyone know why it takes so long to process LMIA applications?
Mine has currently exceeded the average time.

80457Fu11Y

May 5, 2024
Current situation is that my lawyer applied for both LMIA and extension of the current work permit 3.5 months ago.

In the meantime, we got the work permit extension refused as the LMIA hadn’t been processed.

I'm in the same situation. It's been 11 weeks since I started my LMIA application and my work permit extension is about to be processed (almost 3 months since I applied). How long did it take to process your extension?

vaffan405

Jul 13, 2022
Hi, we got the refusal of the extension after 2.5 months. We received the positive LMIA after 5 months. In the meantime, I had to apply for a completely new work permit: it’s been 2 months now.

Manoj Bishnoi

Star Member
Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
Hi, I’m in the same situation. I have 90 days to restore my status as wp extension got refuse. I’m still waiting for my LMIA. It’s its almost 5 months. Did you apply for a visa extension or just waited for your LMIA to apply for work permit instead?

Manoj Bishnoi

Star Member
Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver

Hi, I’m in the same situation. I have 90 days to restore my status as wp extension got refuse. I’m still waiting for my LMIA. It’s its almost 5 months. Did you apply for a visitor visa or just waited for your LMIA to apply for work permit instead?

vaffan405

Jul 13, 2022
Hi, I’m in the same situation. I have 90 days to restore my status as wp extension got refuse. I’m still waiting for my LMIA. It’s its almost 5 months. Did you apply for a visa extension or just waited for your LMIA to apply for work permit instead?
Hi, my lawyer told that we had to wait almost until the 90 day period ended before we could apply for a new work. So we basically applied 1 week before the deadline. 10 after that we received the positive LMIA.
Still waiting for a new work permit though. Since April, and can’t legally work.
Please check with a lawyer before you proceed with your decision.

Manoj Bishnoi

Star Member
Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
That means as long as i apply for a visitor or a work permit application within 90 days period, i can stay within canada even after 90 days. Such a relief!! Also, one of my friend suggested that i should do the flag polling once the lmia is approved. That way i can get my WP and start working immediately. Just wondering why didn’t you consider this option !! Thanks

vaffan405

Jul 13, 2022
That means as long as i apply for a visitor or a work permit application within 90 days period, i can stay within canada even after 90 days. Such a relief!! Also, one of my friend suggested that i should do the flag polling once the lmia is approved. That way i can get my WP and start working immediately. Just wondering why didn’t you consider this option !! Thanks
Of course you can stay in country but you can’t work.
It was my employer’s lawyer, so he was incompetent lol.
You should definitely apply for both visitor visa and work permit. But keep in mind that you can’t flag pole with your LMIA only, you must have a valid visitor visa!

Unknown777

Sep 17, 2024
Did you get any update on the application?

Unknown777

Sep 17, 2024
I applied on April 16th ( 5 months) while still waiting on the decision. Mid August an officer requested additional documents, submitted by Aug 28.Since then no update.
Do you have any idea about the new rules, starting Sept 26 they won't be processing low wage LMIA applications. This applies for the new applications or already pending ones too?
I also need to get approval from Quebec Immigration for my LMIA since my employer is from Quebec. What about you?

Unknown777

Sep 17, 2024
Hi, my lawyer told that we had to wait almost until the 90 day period ended before we could apply for a new work. So we basically applied 1 week before the deadline. 10 after that we received the positive LMIA.
Still waiting for a new work permit though. Since April, and can’t legally work.
Please check with a lawyer before you proceed with your decision.
Can you please tell which province did you apply from

Manoj Bishnoi

Star Member
Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
I applied on April 16th ( 5 months) while still waiting on the decision. Mid August an officer requested additional documents, submitted by Aug 28.Since then no update.
Do you have any idea about the new rules, starting Sept 26 they won't be processing low wage LMIA applications. This applies for the new applications or already pending ones too?
I also need to get approval from Quebec Immigration for my LMIA since my employer is from Quebec. What about you?
My employer applied it on 26th of March. It says queued for assessment. there is no additional update. I I didn’t read the new rule in detail, but I know that in the past, any new rule always meant for the new applicants only. Hopefully this would be our case too.