+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

live-in caregiver

lemmor

Jun 1, 2009
Hi PMM,

I have a question regarding the live-in caregiver program. I heard rumors that the government of Canada will not allow caregivers to apply for P.R. after their 2 years stay as skilled worker in Canada or upon expiration of their working permit. They say starting this year, all caregivers that completed their contract will need to go home or back to their country and needs to apply for Permanent Resident status. How true is this?

Thanks.

Lemmor

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
That rumor is not correct,In fact I had a meeting with the special assistant of the Immigration Minister to study this issue,It turns out that about a couple hundred Nannies arrived as Temporary foriegn workers who are not qualified to apply for P.R because the did not apply as Live In Care Givers But as Temporary Foriegn Workers,You see the waiting time for LCP is longer then TFW and since Many agencies do not collect the full fee until you leave for Canada,They sign the Nannies on as TFW to get their money faster,Thats Why they cannot blame Canada for their problem,They did not read what they applied for.How can you demand the right of a Live In Caregiver if you NEVER applied to come to Canada as a Caregiver.There is no cure for stupidity of people who dont read what they apply for and greed of agencies combined

bestjsg

Jun 3, 2009
BCguy said:
That rumor is not correct,In fact I had a meeting with the special assistant of the Immigration Minister to study this issue,It turns out that about a couple hundred Nannies arrived as Temporary foriegn workers who are not qualified to apply for P.R because the did not apply as Live In Care Givers But as Temporary Foriegn Workers,You see the waiting time for LCP is longer then TFW and since Many agencies do not collect the full fee until you leave for Canada,They sign the Nannies on as TFW to get their money faster,Thats Why they cannot blame Canada for their problem,They did not read what they applied for.How can you demand the right of a Live In Caregiver if you NEVER applied to come to Canada as a Caregiver.There is no cure for stupidity of people who dont read what they apply for and greed of agencies combined

this info really helps..I am an employer just have my live in nanny arrived a month ago, she heard some friends who have been working full time 30 hours a week for 2 years got rejected for PR application because of lack of full time hours worked. I called CIC, Ministry of Labour they both said they don't know about the definition of 'full time' work while Service Canada who gave the +ve LMO at the first place said 30 hours is the min. for Ontario and hence the LMO from 6 mths ago was based on 30 hrs a week. ..do you see this being a problem 2 yrs later when she applies for LMO ?

moreover , with what you just mentioned regarding they should have came in as LCP instead of TFW , how can I tell if my nanny came in with the 'correct' application ? I see on the LMO under ' service canada centre : 3166- Foreign worker program ( ontario region ) ' but then down in the page under job info and NOC code and title shows 6474 - live-in caregiver ..

Thank you very much in advance.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
bestjsg said:
BCguy said:

this info really helps..I am an employer just have my live in nanny arrived a month ago, she heard some friends who have been working full time 30 hours a week for 2 years got rejected for PR application because of lack of full time hours worked. I called CIC, Ministry of Labour they both said they don't know about the definition of 'full time' work while Service Canada who gave the +ve LMO at the first place said 30 hours is the min. for Ontario and hence the LMO from 6 mths ago was based on 30 hrs a week. ..do you see this being a problem 2 yrs later when she applies for LMO ? IT DEPENDS ON THE PROVINCE FOR THE DEFENITION OF FULL TIME WORK,FOR US ITS 30 HOURS

moreover , with what you just mentioned regarding they should have came in as LCP instead of TFW , how can I tell if my nanny came in with the 'correct' application ? I see on the LMO under ' service canada centre : 3166- Foreign worker program ( ontario region ) ' but then down in the page under job info and NOC code and title shows 6474 - live-in caregiver .. SHE S FINE

There you go

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BCguy said:
bestjsg said:
BCguy said:

this info really helps..I am an employer just have my live in nanny arrived a month ago, she heard some friends who have been working full time 30 hours a week for 2 years got rejected for PR application because of lack of full time hours worked. I called CIC, Ministry of Labour they both said they don't know about the definition of 'full time' work while Service Canada who gave the +ve LMO at the first place said 30 hours is the min. for Ontario and hence the LMO from 6 mths ago was based on 30 hrs a week. ..do you see this being a problem 2 yrs later when she applies for LMO ? IT DEPENDS ON THE PROVINCE FOR THE DEFENITION OF FULL TIME WORK,FOR US ITS 30 HOURS

moreover , with what you just mentioned regarding they should have came in as LCP instead of TFW , how can I tell if my nanny came in with the 'correct' application ? I see on the LMO under ' service canada centre : 3166- Foreign worker program ( ontario region ) ' but then down in the page under job info and NOC code and title shows 6474 - live-in caregiver .. SHE S FINE

There you go
CIC defines full time work as 1950 hours per year or 37.5 hours per week.

PMM

bestjsg

Jun 3, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

BCguy said:
bestjsg said:
BCguy said:

There you go

PMM

thanks for the reply....is there a website that shows this ? I like to show my nanny ..

bestjsg

Jun 3, 2009
BCguy said:
bestjsg said:
BCguy said:

just this line ,3166- Foreign worker program, worries me...

There you go

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

bestjsg said:
PMM said:
Hi

BCguy said:
bestjsg said:
BCguy said:

There you go

PMM

thanks for the reply....is there a website that shows this ? I like to show my nanny ..
From the processing manual.

"To be eligible for points, the applicant’s work experience must
be full-time work, which, according to R80(7), is equivalent to at least 37.5 hours of paid work
per week. Full-time work experience requirement may be met by the equivalent in part-time
paid work experience, e.g. two part-time jobs held simultaneously. Experience can be
calculated by adding up the number of weeks of full-time work, i.e. 37.5 hours per week in
one job or a total of at least 37.5 hours per week in more than one job, in one or more of the
NOC categories."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op06-eng.pdf Section 10.12

PMM

R

roel0611

Hi Lemmor,

Its not a rumor. I have a relative who will sponsor another relative as a caregiver. We learned from the relative who is sponsoring the caregiver that as of now all caregivers who will arrive in Canada will no longer be allowed to file for permanent resident after 2 years. They can extend their contract after the two years but thats it. They will be just like contract workers. If they want to apply as an immigrant (permanent resident) they can do it on the embassy onf their country of origin. Very sad....

R

roel0611

If you check the CIC website you can read that they allow permanent resident application after 24 months of caregiving work within a 3 year period. But if you will look on the bottom-most part of that page where that statement is posted you will see that its been a long time since that page was last updated.

Sorry to break the bad news. We (my family) are also saddened by it. We do not know if it will change back to the old rule. We like to think that its only because of the recession. But that we can not confirm

R

roel0611

So far there is no website that will support my info. This is real-live info coming from Canadian immigration office. My relative who is a canadian citizen has just arranged the necessary documents from their government to employ a caregiver. He is the one who told me about it.