+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Limited Validity Passport Question (Please Help)

bdbdu

Apr 4, 2016
Quick question regarding Limited Validity Passport for 6 month old child.

- Canadian (mother) married to Australian (Father)
- 6 month old Son born in Australia and has Australian Passport
- Australian Father (me) has just been granted Canadian Permanent Residency via Family Class Spousal Sponsorship (wife was the sponsor).
- I included son as a dependent in this application but he was removed by CIC as he has a right to Canadian Citizenship, hence not hes an applicable dependant for sponsorship.
- Have now applied for Citizenship Certificate for 6 month old son based on advise from CIC.
- This is being processed and have just been informed it takes 12-14 months to supply

Given that we are planning to move to Canada immediately (now that my PR has approved), is my son eligible for a limited validity Canadian Passport, even though he holds an Australian Passport?

Thanks very much for any help!

- bdbdu

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Whether or not he holds a passport from Australia or any other country is totally irrelevant. The child has been a Canadian citizen from birth and thus eligible for a Canadian passport. However, the problem is that you need proof of child's citizenship to get a passport and since the child was born in Australia, there is no Canadian birth certificate and you thus need a Canadian citizenship certificate, which--like just about everything else with IRCC/CIC-- takes an inordinate amount of time go get. I think you have two options: Apply for expedited processing or attempt to convince CBSA officer of child's Canadian citizenship at landing. Of course, you would also need to convince airline to allow child on flight.....

martha1901

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-06-2016
What about registering his birth thru the Canadian embassy there? will they not be able to provide certificate that way, so that then he can have his Canadian passport.
Just a thought.

bdbdu

Apr 4, 2016
links18 said:
Whether or not he holds a passport from Australia or any other country is totally irrelevant. The child has been a Canadian citizen from birth and thus eligible for a Canadian passport. However, the problem is that you need proof of child's citizenship to get a passport and since the child was born in Australia, there is no Canadian birth certificate and you thus need a Canadian citizenship certificate, which--like just about everything else with IRCC/CIC-- takes an inordinate amount of time go get. I think you have two options: Apply for expedited processing or attempt to convince CBSA officer of child's Canadian citizenship at landing. Of course, you would also need to convince airline to allow child on flight.....
Thank you both for you considered responses.

I have applied for a citizenship certificate with the Canadian Consulate in Australia so that long process is underway. It sounds like I can apply for a limited validity passport, which I understand gets processed quite quickly if eligible.

Lastly, I think he would be allowed on the plane and into Canada as of right now, based on the fact that he has an Australian Passport. At the very least he could be a tourist for 3 months... albeit a young one!

Regards

bdbdu

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
bdbdu said:
Thank you both for you considered responses.

I have applied for a citizenship certificate with the Canadian Consulate in Australia so that long process is underway. It sounds like I can apply for a limited validity passport, which I understand gets processed quite quickly if eligible.

Lastly, I think he would be allowed on the plane and into Canada as of right now, based on the fact that he has an Australian Passport. At the very least he could be a tourist for 3 months... albeit a young one!

Regards

bdbdu
Check ETA rules that will go into effect this fall.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
bdbdu said:
Given that we are planning to move to Canada immediately (now that my PR has approved), is my son eligible for a limited validity Canadian Passport, even though he holds an Australian Passport?
Yes, you can apply for a limited validity passport for the child. Include proof of the Certificate app and proof of imminent travel.

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
Yes, you can apply for a limited validity passport for the child. Include proof of the Certificate app and proof of imminent travel.
Hello!!
What would be the proof of canadian certificate citizenship application??
What proof can i give to them that i applied for this certificate for the child
Also the application for passport for child asks me to mention the citizenship certificate numberwhich I won’t have-so what to write in place pf that

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello!!
Also the application for passport for child asks me to mention the citizenship certificate numberwhich I won’t have-so what to write in place pf that
I suggest you read the link below first:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/apply.html

Janjoun

Sep 14, 2018
Hello!!
When you apply for citizenship certificate at the embassy, they will give you a receipt along with a document acknowledging receipt of the application. That's your proof of application.
You will also need a ticket travel in the name of the child, and you can apply for an emergency passport.
Your embassy will give you more details as paperwork varies from one embassy to the other.