+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Limit on amount of possessions you can bring in???

farrelli

Mar 24, 2009
Hey,

I'll be coming from the US and wonder if they have any limitations on the amount of stuff you can bring in. Most stuff here is quite a bit cheaper, even before tax, than in Canada and I'd like to stock up before I make the move. Do they cut you off at some point? I could save many thousands of dollars by buying a new car, refrigerator, washing machine, furniture, etc. before I make the move. Do they limit you or even discriminate based upon how recently before the move you bought your stuff? As I understand it, you've basically got one shot at bringing your booty across the border duty free and the amount that I could save during one big shopping trip before I move could support me for years. I want to know if they'll bust me just because I have a full household's worth of goodies which still have the price tags attached.

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

farrelli said:
Hey,

I'll be coming from the US and wonder if they have any limitations on the amount of stuff you can bring in. Most stuff here is quite a bit cheaper, even before tax, than in Canada and I'd like to stock up before I make the move. Do they cut you off at some point? I could save many thousands of dollars by buying a new car, refrigerator, washing machine, furniture, etc. before I make the move. Do they limit you or even discriminate based upon how recently before the move you bought your stuff? As I understand it, you've basically got one shot at bringing your booty across the border duty free and the amount that I could save during one big shopping trip before I move could support me for years. I want to know if they'll bust me just because I have a full household's worth of goodies which still have the price tags attached.

Thanks.
Yes, you will end up most likely paying duty, taxes if the goods are new and used. See: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.pdf

PMM