+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Likelihood of obtaining temporary resident visa

inquisitive

Sep 25, 2009
Hi, my boyfriend is from Mexico and wants to come to Canada to visit. Currently, he is living in the U.S. on a visitor's visa, and is in the process of starting his own business - the business has been around for about a year and is quite profitable. He will be immigrating to the U.S. on an investor's visa. If he applies for a temporary resident visa to visit Canada, what is the likelihood of obtaining one under these circumstances? I have other friends from Mexico who attempted to come to Canada and were refused citing the reason "lack of employment opportunities in your country of residence." I have also been told that if you do not have enough ties to Mexico, i.e. money and property, you can forget about getting into Canada. Will his situation make him look positive or negative in the eyes of an average immigration officer? He does not want to waste his time and money unless it is a likely venture.

Thanks

inquisitive

Sep 25, 2009
Also can anyone tell me if he obtains his U.S. investor's visa (it is not permanent residence), can he enter like any American Citizen?

Oct 7, 2009
GOOD NEWS to all applying for a TEMP RESIDENT VISA FOR thier fiancée

i just wanted to share our great story! Im canadian and my wife is lebanese. we were in a long distance dating for over a year when we decided to get married here in Toronto and live here together, but we didnt think she woudl ever get the visa to come to canada. We heard that nobody under 30 gets the visa if they are not rich in school, have a stable job of many years or own property or show they have strong ties to their country like having kids there. Esp from Lebanon we heard it was impossible But we tired. AND WE GOT IT!!!!! BUT WE WERE PREPARED I must have spent 100 hours on here researching what to do and what not to due before we did anything which is what I suggest you do BEFORE YOU TRY.

Here is my advise to you. read post on why people got rejected and do not make the same mistakes. FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT: DO NOT MAKE CANADA AWARE OF YOUR RELATIONSHIP with your fiancée, AND DON'T invite them yourself!!!

Best way is to get a friend in canada to invoite them by letter, say they are cousins or friends. Best to use a same sex friend, i.e if your fiancée is a man get a male friend to say they are their cousin or friend here etc etc, it doesnt matter if they are or not! they don’t really have a way of verifying that info. Say they want to visit to visit their family here, and best to use an actual event lika a family Wedding, etc to come for.

SECOND MOST IMPORTANT MOST PEOPLE DONT DO THIS AND THIS IS WHY THEY GET REJECTD send ALL YOUR DOCUMENTS: BANK STATEMENTS, WORK LETTER, POLICE REPORT ETC Be sure one of you must show who is funding the trip so if your finance can’t show proof of income or money in the bank your friend must provide a bank statement and pay stub to prove he is working and an invitation saying he will pay for all the costs even if its you who will be paying behind the scenes. your fiancee will need a letter from his or her work saying they are woking and have time off. you need exact dates of their vacation and when they are returning to work. make this amount of time reasonable. e.i dont say the holdiday is 5 months!!! they wont beleive you. best to ask for 3 to 4 weeks only. and state day return to work. (you can extend the visitor visa later when they are here)

Next be sure you have a logical reason why your fiancée is visiting Canada and it CAN’T be to come see you and marry you silly! they willl reject you! So make up a good story and outline all the details of the trip in the application, what you plan to do, where they will stay. Show exact dates you are applying for the visa and don’t be greedy no more than 2 months or they will get suspicious. Provide all the bank statements letters of employment police clearance certificates that they require (its on the application requirements) get all the necessary docs translated. Be sure to take the exact pic size or they will reject it too.

They will call to verify all the info so be ready to answer a call from an immigration officer. They may call the person inviting them or them, so get your stories straight and stick to the story. This is how me and my now wife did it! I they called my wife to verify she was working and that’s it. We didn’t have proof of income or employment for her. My friend here in Canada said she was my wifes cousin and inviting her for a holiday. They had never met before but nobody had to know that. Anyway, practice all the questions the officer may ask you, what they are looking for is trying to determine if you will stay in Canada. Tell your finacee to HAVE A GOOD STORY as to why they would NEVER leave his/her country and has only intention to visit Canada. Best to pretend they have a bf or gf in their country to stomp out any doubt they will move here. PRACTICE PREPARE READ READ READ MANY POSTS AND GOOD LUCK.

My wife applied for a temp res visa in APR 2009, she was granted 2 montsh even though she only asked for 1! she arrived in MAY 2009 we were married in JUN 2009 and we applied for her PERMANENT RESIDENCE in JUL 2009 and are now waiting but she is here with me and we are happy happy happy.

Reactions: Trec

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
immi2canada2009: And after your have lied to immigration about the purpose of the visit and then get married and apply for sponsorship, immigration will say, what spouse, what sponsorship?

While applying for a visit visa, there was no fiance in Canada, no plans to visit fiance or get married and while filing for sponsorship and trying to prove that your relationship is real, it becomes clear that there was a fiance all along.

Immigration will then realize that either you lied when applying for a visit visa or you are lying on the sponsorship forms. Since they don't like being lied to, they might just decide to put your application under the magnifying glass. Especially since it's possible that you told the truth when applying for the visit visa and then decided to stay in Canada, found somebody to get married for PR and fabricated all the evidence of the relationship.

I do hope it goes well for you but lying to immigration is always risky. Especially with inland, if they decide they want an interview with your spouse before they approve, it can add years to the processing time.

maua

Oct 2, 2009
I agree with Leon, why complicate matters? It has been my experience with Visitor Visas to Canada and to the U.S. - keep it simple. Any time you knit a web of explanation that is too complex, it raises doubt. When my Mom was visiting us in the U.S. she didn't even present a bank statement. All she had was an invitation, her application and her passport. The interview was simple - She was coming to visit her children.
When visiting my sister in Canada, all she submitted to the embassy in Nairobi was a letter of invitation from my sister, a letter indicating that my sister was employed, the necessary forms and her passport. No interview was conducted. Two days later, they called her back and gave her the visa stamped passport. She stayed for a few weeks and went back home as she had stated in her application. I doubt that she will have a problem obtaining one in the future.
Just keep it simple.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
inquisitive said:
Also can anyone tell me if he obtains his U.S. investor's visa (it is not permanent residence), can he enter like any American Citizen?
I think if he has legal status in the US, it would be a lot easier for him to get a visit visa to Canada since he would not be seen having as much a risk of overstaying. If he gets a US green card, he will not need a visa to visit Canada.

Oct 7, 2009
all i know is my spouse got their visa to visit their cousin for 2 months with 1. no job, 2. no schooling. 3. no ties to their country. 4. 25 years old. and 5. $only $1,300 in the bank. all the things reasons everyone said she wouldnt get it, but she did.

so all im saying is you might as well try!! it worked for us and

Oct 7, 2009
my point was if you wantt o marry someone here, don't even bother saying your "fiancee" wants to visit you. YOU WONT GET IT. so they force you to lie. but we didnt lie as much as created a different reason for her to come here.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nobody forces you to lie. If you can't get a TRV, then you don't have to marry in Canada and you can do outland sponsorship. I would not want to take the chance to lie to immigration to get a TRV that way and then hope that the sponsorship goes off without a hitch.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
inquisitive said:
no, you cannot enter Canada as ant American citizen - for that to happen you need American passport. but being in that status you can apply for TRV and succeed.
good luck!