+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letter of Explanation with Citizenship Application

Gurghum

Aug 26, 2024
Hello all Members junior and senior,

I would like your input on the info given to me by an RCIC after a consultation regarding citizenship application. My background, I got my PR under PNP through Alberta as an inland applicant who have always lived in Alberta for study and work, but after being granted PR 6 months after I got a better opportunity an hour away in a BC small town (I was in an Alberta city close to BC border) so I moved there. So I consulted an RCIC about citizenship application as I am approaching my eligibility date. And was advised to also send a letter of explanation with my application for why I moved and reasons regarding that. I want input from members who had similar situation as me or have an idea if you guys also sent such a letter because you moved provinces (is it a standard process) or it might do more harm than good to send such a letter in as for delays due to extra paperwork which wasn’t necessary. Just clueless, so any help would be appreciated!

SSR88

Star Member
Apr 26, 2021
Timeline:
1) Came as a student and landed in Canada on September 21, 2021.

2) Got my PR in February, 2024.

3) When should I apply for my citizenship?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all Members junior and senior,

I would like your input on the info given to me by an RCIC after a consultation regarding citizenship application. My background, I got my PR under PNP through Alberta as an inland applicant who have always lived in Alberta for study and work, but after being granted PR 6 months after I got a better opportunity an hour away in a BC small town (I was in an Alberta city close to BC border) so I moved there. So I consulted an RCIC about citizenship application as I am approaching my eligibility date. And was advised to also send a letter of explanation with my application for why I moved and reasons regarding that. I want input from members who had similar situation as me or have an idea if you guys also sent such a letter because you moved provinces (is it a standard process) or it might do more harm than good to send such a letter in as for delays due to extra paperwork which wasn’t necessary. Just clueless, so any help would be appreciated!
IRCC cracking down on whether people remained in their PNP province is relatively recent. As previously stated you actually remained employed in Alberta for 6 months and moved to a border community in a smaller community in BC. Assume the real targets are those who leave within weeks of getting PR and moved from smaller provinces to places like the GTA. You can certainly include a letter explaining your longterm employment in Alberta and how you moved to a neighbouring small community close by after 6 months for a similar position but it is in BC. Employment in smaller communities and people remaining in similar positions unlikely to be a target of any crackdowns. As a PR you do have freedom of movement and you didn’t misrepresent your intention to remain in Alberta and future employment in Alberta during PNP.

Reactions: Gurghum

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Timeline:
1) Came as a student and landed in Canada on September 21, 2021.

2) Got my PR in February, 2024.

3) When should I apply for my citizenship?
This is a question for yourself. You can apply for citizenship once you physically live in Canada for 1095 days.

SSR88

Star Member
Apr 26, 2021
For 2 years and 3 months I was on temporary visa status..can I include that time also?

Like how does the count happen for the 1095 days?

Gurghum

Aug 26, 2024
IRCC cracking down on whether people remained in their PNP province is relatively recent. As previously stated you actually remained employed in Alberta for 6 months and moved to a border community in a smaller community in BC. Assume the real targets are those who leave within weeks of getting PR and moved from smaller provinces to places like the GTA. You can certainly include a letter explaining your longterm employment in Alberta and how you moved to a neighbouring small community close by after 6 months for a similar position but it is in BC. Employment in smaller communities and people remaining in similar positions unlikely to be a target of any crackdowns. As a PR you do have freedom of movement and you didn’t misrepresent your intention to remain in Alberta and future employment in Alberta during PNP.
Thank you so much, yeah your answer makes sense! And helps too! Have you come across where an applicant was asked in citizenship interview about this? That was also brought up by the RCIC I talked to as that they might ask or might not but its only in interview it comes up. He said he hasn’t seen anyone get denied citizenship even if they are asked about it so nothing to worry about, but just something to be aware of. I was hoping to know if in your experience you have seen someone being asked in interview about this? Thanks

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
For 2 years and 3 months I was on temporary visa status..can I include that time also?

Like how does the count happen for the 1095 days?
1) no need to ask unrelated questions in someone else's thread.
2) it would have taken you less time to google it than to ask here, and you would have found out that the time spent as a student counts as 50%, of which you can accumulate a year.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much, yeah your answer makes sense! And helps too! Have you come across where an applicant was asked in citizenship interview about this? That was also brought up by the RCIC I talked to as that they might ask or might not but its only in interview it comes up. He said he hasn’t seen anyone get denied citizenship even if they are asked about it so nothing to worry about, but just something to be aware of. I was hoping to know if in your experience you have seen someone being asked in interview about this? Thanks
I really think you are overthinking this. You are unlikely to need a special interview your application doesn’t seem to have any red flags at this point.