+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letter of Employment Specifics

Hopefulperson

Aug 26, 2020
Hello,

I have been working as a Funding Administrator/Analyst for 1.5 years now at a company that works for/is basically CIBC's auto-finance industry. About $10M profit every month.

When I search for my title in the N0C Database, the closest I can find is basically a data entry clerk. which is not a N0C level that qualifies (C)

However, I found 1241 - Adminsitrative Assistant, and it is a N0C Level B. In the duties of this particular job title it has 13 different main duties listed.
I can match atleast 3 to 4 of those duties to what I actually do at my job.

I have a good relationship with my superior and HR and when I was hired I told them I am especially interested in this job as the title would help me with my PR. If I ask them to edit my title and duties to what I mentioned above as I need it for my immigration they will happily comply.

My question is, when I print out and present/send my Letter of Employment with the necessary details that immigration asks for, Is listing only those 3-4 duties + the Administrative assitant title in the LOE going to be enough?

They wont need me to list ALL main job duties of that specific job title will they?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You need to perform most (about 80%) of the main duties listed in an NOC to claim it. 3 or 4 out of 13 is not really good enough.

Hopefulperson

Aug 26, 2020
How sure are you of that? Here are the following duties of the N0C I mentioned above surely mentioning 10 of these (80% as you claim) can't even fit a letter of employement. That would be a whole essay.

How much of the following so you think I would need to include in a letter of employment???

• Prepare, key in, edit and proofread correspondence, invoices, presentations, brochures, publications, reports and related material from machine dictation and handwritten copy
  • Open and distribute incoming regular and electronic mail and other material and co-ordinate the flow of information internally and with other departments and organizations
  • Schedule and confirm appointments and meetings of employer
  • Order office supplies and maintain inventory
  • Answer telephone and electronic enquiries and relay telephone calls and messages
  • Set up and maintain manual and computerized information filing systems
  • Determine and establish office procedures
  • Greet visitors, ascertain nature of business and direct visitors to employer or appropriate person
  • Record and prepare minutes of meetings
  • Arrange travel schedules and make reservations
  • May compile data, statistics and other information to support research activities
  • May supervise and train office staff in procedures and in use of current software
  • May organize conferences

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You need to perform "most" of the main duties. Obviously, less than half is not "most." The rule of thumb is 70 to 80%.

wuyitongXX

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
You need to perform "most" of the main duties. Obviously, less than half is not "most." The rule of thumb is 70 to 80%.
My previous jobs were part time about 20 hrs a week, and I was not assigned a large variety of duties. I have listed 6 duties in total and 4 of them are from NOC5241.

I believe every job at least in Canada must fall into certain NOC codes either ABCD. It doesn’t make sense if one job doesn’t qualify into any NOC category

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
When I search for my title in the N0C Database, the closest I can find is basically a data entry clerk. which is not a N0C level that qualifies (C)
You are going about this the wrong way. Your duties/responsibilities have to "match" those of your chosen NOC, not the job title. Job title is unreliable, IRCC goes by job duties and responsibilities, you have to chose the one that is the closest match to what you actually do (and what your employer will attest in your letter of reference). 5241, 1241 and 1114 are all very different.

And, no, it doesn't matter much if your employer says your NOC is 1114 but your duties match 5241.

Hopefulperson

Aug 26, 2020
Well that settles it then. As seen above, my employer would attest in my letter that my jobs duties match closest to N0C 1114

Also, I was not the person that mentioned the 5241 N0C