+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letter from IRCC regarding IMM 0008

rnasim

Mar 16, 2024
Hello need help with a letter received for my PGP application for my mother.
Im not sure why they say IMM 0008 in incomplete. Was someone in same situation and clarify what they want?

"IMM 0008 (for Principal Applicant): Based on the information provided within your
application, one or more of your dependants is not listed on the IMM 0008. Please
submit a newly completed and signed Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)
including your dependant(s) . A dependant is defined by IRCC as a spouse, common-
law partner, or dependant child of the principal applicant. A dependent child is a child
who is under 22 years old and is not married or in a common-law relationship.
Children who are at the age limit can qualify as a dependant if they have depended on
their parents for financial support since before they reached the age limit and cannot
finically support themselves due to a mental or physical condition. The application
should include the following people, if they meet the definition of a dependent:
• Principal Applicant’s spouse or common-law partner;
• Principal Applicant’s dependant children from current and previous relationships;"

In my mother case: she did not list any dependants as,
1) All children are above 22 and Canadian citizens so they are not dependants.
2) Also her spouse, my father is already a Canadian citizen so he is not a dependant as well.

IMM 0008 is only for dependants but my mother has no dependants.
What is this definition on dependant? And should all the Canadian citizens be included in this form too regardless of dependant or not?

The letter states "Please submit a newly completed and signed Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008) including your dependant(s).".
1) Who am I including? (as she technically has no dependants - children and spouse are Canadian citizens)
2) Is this supposed to be HAND FILLED and HAND SIGNED this time on submission?

NEED HELPP PLEASE!!!

I also checked the checklist I had submitted:
As per IMM 5771e, it clearly states: "Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008) To be completed online by the principal applicant. The principal applicant’s dependent spouse or common-law partner and dependent children (whether accompanying to Canada or not) must be declared on this form unless they are already a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Key is since all are citizens so no dependants, so who are they referring to?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I also checked the checklist I had submitted:
As per IMM 5771e, it clearly states: "Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008) To be completed online by the principal applicant. The principal applicant’s dependent spouse or common-law partner and dependent children (whether accompanying to Canada or not) must be declared on this form unless they are already a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Key is since all are citizens so no dependants, so who are they referring to?
This is a relatively common error at IRCC with PGP apps - i.e. you have done it correctly, you will just need to confirm it to them.

I'd just include a letter of explanation with the following:
-List all children and spouse and their age and citizenship.
-Short explanatory text that all of the children are over 22, are no longer dependents, and also already citizens.
-Similar for spouse (although still a dependent).

She should sign the letter.

I'd include either a new copy of the IMM0008 or a copy of the as-submitted (up to you).

None of my business, but why not have her spouse sponsor her (why PGP?)? Even at this stage might still be faster (although I don't know).

Reactions: YVR123

rnasim

Mar 16, 2024
Thanks so much! This is really helpful!

However may I know why you said the spouse may still be a dependant in brackets? Im trying to understand the definition of dependant.

He is retired and no income from last 10 years. The spousal application has low chances than PGP after a lot of lawyer advices.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
However may I know why you said the spouse may still be a dependant in brackets? Im trying to understand the definition of dependant.
Repeat, do not include him. He cannot be an applicant to become a PR because already a citizen. Just that technically he would still be dependent (as compared to the children). Still, my understanding is he should not be entered on this app - because cannot be an applicant.

He is retired and no income from last 10 years. The spousal application has low chances than PGP after a lot of lawyer advices.
Do he and your mother live off of savings? If so, I think your lawyer gave bad advice (they would like at their finances/ability to support themselves); I hope you and haven't been waiting long to qualify for PGP.

If you and other children are fully supporting them, then I guess the advice would be correct.

Apr 23, 2024
A similar situation happened to me too. Me as principal applicant did the application, which includes only me and my Canadian citizen sponsor(wife), no dependents of any type whatsoever in reality. But when I checked my tracker, I saw my wife listed under dependents. I thought it was a glitch in the tracker, still to be on the safe side, I sent them an explanation letter before they ask for anything, basically explaining the obvious:D "Hey guys, I see the otherwise in my tracker, but it is just me and my wife, no one else is included in this application. Just for your information!".
The application went through without any problem/additional request about that issue, we are on background check phase now.

rnasim

Mar 16, 2024
But when I checked my tracker, I saw my wife listed under dependents.
So in my case mother is principal applicant and the child(me) is the sponsor, so the case is bit different as I could completely ignore the spouse.
Considering your example means should I include my mother's Canadian citizen husband as dependant? Please confirm.

Based on little research, seems SPOUSE needs to be included in dependant regardless of status.

The advice above from
armoured was the husband/my father "cannot be an applicant to become a PR because already a citizen "

I checked guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents for common mistakes and it literally words:

For IMM 0008

• For sponsorship applications, the principal applicant’s spouse or common-law partner must be included on the IMM 0008 form, whether they’ll immigrate to Canada or not.

Anyways, so what I understand is I can omit the children, nothing will change there.
I still need to add the spouse Canadian citizen husband as dependant!

If you understand the same from the statement above, do just let me know, so atleast I know this time I am understanding the wordings accurately ;)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
\For IMM 0008

• For sponsorship applications, the principal applicant’s spouse or common-law partner must be included on the IMM 0008 form, whether they’ll immigrate to Canada or not.\
Anyways, so what I understand is I can omit the children, nothing will change there.
I still need to add the spouse Canadian citizen husband as dependant!
No, wrong. You did not read the rest of the text where it says Canadian citizens and PRs should not be included.

Reactions: YVR123