+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Less amount Proof of Fund for 2 as PR on Canada for the first time>>>New

HawkEye

Jan 16, 2010
emamabd said:
the currency restriction at airport is a common problem in most 3rd world countries...but most countries allow $10,000 - so i agree with you that $5000 is a very small amount. You can think of carrying other forms of funds (such as Traveller's cheques) ...do your
authorities search you at airport? if you will not be subject to a thorough search then a combination of cash + draft cheque + travellers cheques will solve the problem. Keep in mind that you have to show the complete amount for both you and your wife - this is the rule for the principal applicant...and you cannot go around this rule.

The last resort is to carry a bank statement which will show the rest of the amount, but bear in mind that there is no guarantee that it will be accepted....but i guess it will be better than not having the required amount at all.

Regarding the list of goods....mainly you need to list jewelry, electronics, ...but clothes are not an issue here, you don't have to list them. You need to have a photo of your jewelry (preferrably a coloured photo)
HI emamabd,

I have known from the sources that there would be restrictions on the money that we can bring .It is centrally controlled as only $ up 75000 could be carried. Since my wife doesn't have yet the ticket but visa . Is there any proof in cic website that says that If I principal applicant can't carry CAD$13837 I would be returned from entering the CANADA. What is the solution here.?
Any help

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
HawkEye said:
HI emamabd,

I have known from the sources that there would be restrictions on the money that we can bring .It is centrally controlled as only $ up 75000 could be carried. Since my wife doesn't have yet the ticket but visa . Is there any proof in cic website that says that If I principal applicant can't carry CAD$13837 I would be returned from entering the CANADA. What is the solution here.?
Any help
Hi Hawkeye,

I think you probably meant 7500 as the maximum allowed amount for travelling from your country not 75000

In the link below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/arrival.asp

you'll find the CIC proof you requested:

*When you arrive, you must have:

1) Your valid passport and/or travel documents. Your passport must be a regular, private passport. You cannot immigrate to Canada
with a diplomatic, government service or public affairs passport.
2) Your valid permanent resident visa and your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). The officer will make sure you are
entering Canada before or on the expiry date shown on your visa. Please note that this document cannot be extended; therefore,
you should make sure to use it before it expires.
3) Proof that you have the funds to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada.

****It clearly says "yourself and your family...not yourself only

i) The officer will ask you a few questions to make sure you still meet the terms to immigrate to Canada. They will be similar to the ones you answered when you applied.

ii) You will not be allowed into Canada if you give false or incomplete information, or if you do not convince the officer that you meet the conditions to enter Canada.

*****number "ii" clearly says that if you don't meet the conditions mentioned above (those 3 conditions) the officer can deny your entry.

Thats why i stated earlier that by not having the required funds stated by CIC for you and your family, you are taking a huge risk.

You have these options:

1) From some countries (UAE, India, Egypt...) its possible to open a bank account in canada (HSBC, Nova Scotia Bank.....)before
you land, if this is possible in your country then you can do that, and deposit your funds in your canadian account before you
land and obtain an online statement and have it with you when you land
2) As i suggested earlier, divide the required amount between cash/traveller's cheques/draft cheque....and it could go unnoticed
when you leave your home country airport - try to find people from your own country who have been in a similiar situation to find
out what they have done
3) Try and get an exemption from your authorities - by explaining your situation....but that often does not work in 3rd world
countries as governments there don't really care
4) Travel you and your wife in the same flight....if she can't travel now then maybe you can postpone your landing to a later date
(as long as your visa has validity)...then you should be able to carry a $7500 each which amounts to more than the amount
required for your family size. Once you reach toronto you can then declare the complete amount $15000.
5) Try contacting your responsible canadian embassy for advice...explain them your situation - if they are located in your country
then they are probably aware of your local conditions so they might be able to suggest something.
6) Travel to a third country before your trip to canada, (example UAE) ...there non-residents can open a local bank account...you
can plan 2 trips...the first trip deposit the $7500 and in the second trip take with you another $7500 and fly directly to canada
with the 15K.
7) If all the above does not work for you then get a written letter from your authorities clarifying the currency restriction and have
it attested from the ministry of foriegn affairs in your country, take it with you when you land ...have also $7500 in cash, and a
statement showing that you had 15K (or 13K) and withdrawed $7500 and still have remaining $7500 in your account in home
country...that way you can try to convince the officer that you have the whole amount but could not bring it at once because
of the restrictions...also have a confirmed reservation for your wife and tell him that she will arrive with the remaining funds.
But you have to understand that its still risky to choose this option 7...