+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legally separated : does a spouse need to pass biometrics?

Oops10982

Apr 28, 2024
Hi everyone,
I know that even non-accompanying spouse have to have a passport /TD and to pass biometrics, but what about if they are legally separated? Does in that case it is obligatory for a spouse to pass biometrics?!

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi everyone,
I know that even non-accompanying spouse have to have a passport /TD and to pass biometrics, but what about if they are legally separated? Does in that case it is obligatory for a spouse to pass biometrics?!
Why would non-accompanying spouse need to do biometric? I'm confused with your question

Oops10982

Apr 28, 2024
I know that he/she must have a passport /TD, but I am wondering whether they need to pass biometrics. Actually, my spouse (we are separated) can give me a copy of his passport, but he refuse to pass biometric and undergo medical examination, because he doesn't go to Canada

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I know that he/she must have a passport /TD, but I am wondering whether they need to pass biometrics. Actually, my spouse (we are separated) can give me a copy of his passport, but he refuse to pass biometric and undergo medical examination, because he doesn't go to Canada
He is not refusing, he is not required to do biometric if he is not accompanying you, and the fact that you are separated. Why do you insist on that?

Oops10982

Apr 28, 2024
He is not refusing, he is not required to do biometric if he is not accompanying you, and the fact that you are separated. Why do you insist on that?
My previous application was rejected because I did not download his passport in my application . Now I am wondering, if in my next application I provide his passport (he is ok with that, fortunately), whether there will be necessity for him to pass biometrics? He is ok to give me a copy of his passport to my application, but he doesn't want to do others steps ( pass biometrics and medical examibation)

sabensaid92

Nov 8, 2023
When you file as legally separated you do not have to submit his passeport nor his biometrics. That's actually the main reason why people apply as legally separated. Otherwise you just file as married but spouse will not be accompanying.
So to answer you question, no they don't need to provide biometrics

Oops10982

Apr 28, 2024
When you file as legally separated you do not have to submit his passeport nor his biometrics. That's actually the main reason why people apply as legally separated. Otherwise you just file as married but spouse will not be accompanying.
So to answer you question, no they don't need to provide biometrics
You are wrong, IRCC have rejected my application because a spouse MUST provide all the documents, including passport and police certificate, despite the fact that we are legally separated. My question is, whether a spouse also must pass BID?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
You are wrong, IRCC have rejected my application because a spouse MUST provide all the documents, including passport and police certificate, despite the fact that we are legally separated. My question is, whether a spouse also must pass BID?
They need it because from your original application, you were not separated yet (Assuming) but now you are. All your previous forms indicates you are in marriage kind relationship but now you are not.... Is this true?

Oops10982

Apr 28, 2024
They need it because from your original application, you were not separated yet (Assuming) but now you are. All your previous forms indicates you are in marriage kind relationship but now you are not.... Is this true?
Yes, it's true. We have been married for years, but now we are legally separated for several months, and we have a notarized document confirming this..
And my question is the same : is a non-accompanying spouse, who I am legally separated with, must pass biometrics and medical examination?

Last edited:

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Yes, it's true. We have been married for years, but now we are legally separated for several months, and we have a notarized document confirming this..
And my question is the same : is a non-accompanying spouse, who I am legally separated with, must pass biometrics and medical examination?
you need to update marital status through IMM forms, and your spouse does not need to do bio and or medical exam...

sabensaid92

Nov 8, 2023
I just had my application approved. I filed as legally separated and I did not submit any document of my ex spouse

Oops10982

Apr 28, 2024
you need to update marital status through IMM forms, and your spouse does not need to do bio and or medical exam...
I need to create a new application and wait for a New ITA, actually...
Ok, thank you.. I will hope that despite the fact, that a non-accompanying spouse must provide all the documents, there will not be need to do BID for him...

Oops10982

Apr 28, 2024
I need to create a new application and wait for a New ITA, actually, because the previous one was rejected for being incomplete ...
Ok, thank you.. I will hope that despite the fact, that a non-accompanying spouse must provide all the documents, there will not be need to do BID for him...

Oops10982

Apr 28, 2024
I just had my application approved. I filed as legally separated and I did not submit any document of my ex spouse
For me, IRCC asked for all the documents for a spouse, regardles the status of being legally separated... Maybe it depends on the other information