+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal change of name?

lsmother

May 11, 2010
Hi everyone. It will be appreciated if somebody helps me.

After becoming a PR(common law), we got married.Due to our marriage,I changed my last name.
I am going to renew my PR card soon.

Here is CIC guide....

If your present name is different from the name printed on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292), you must send in supporting legal documentation as proof of your name change:

* a certified copy of a legal change of name document, court order, adoption order, marriage certificate issued by civil authorities with your new name or a divorce decree with your new name, and
* a certified copy of your provincial driver’s licence, provincial identification card or provincial health card in the requested name.

Important information If you have had a legal name change, you must include a copy of your Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292) with this application.

What does A LEGAL NAME CHANGE mean? like my case? if not what does exactly it mean?
English is not my first language so this guide is confusing me....
Please help me.

I

iarblue

Legal name change is just that.If you got married and took on his last name and are changing your name on all documents,ie health card drivers licence then do as they ask copy your marriage certificate and send it in with the application to change the name on the landing cert,and pr card.
But please dont forget to get the copy noterized,

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Is it better to declare a name change before you land? What is the best way to do this.. to have my US identification changed and then when they send in my visa to notify them of the change then, or should I wait until after I land and change my name later?

esperando

May 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2009 at Mississauga
File Transfer...
23-11-2009 to Seoul
Passport Req..
02-04-2010
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2010
LANDED..........
15-06-2010
I've been having the same issue. My name, passport (with PR visa sticker in it) and all other identification documents still have my maiden name on it, even though I'm married now. The reason is because in Korea it's not customary for a woman to change her last name just because she got married.

Anyway, so we did the application and got approved with my maiden name - now I want to change my last name to my husband's but have no idea where to start!

I've already asked civil services in Alberta, where we plan to live, but all they tell me is that if I have a valid marriage certificate I can use that to change my name on my driver's licence, etc. But my question is, what's the point of having one name on my driver's licence and another on my passport (which I can't change now because the PR visa is in it).

I'm planning to land next month, so I'm going to try asking the IO at the airport if he/she has any tips, but if I could get more info beforehand it would be a big load off my mind.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Did anyone have any more thoughts on this? I don't know if it would be better to change my IDs now or wait until after PR is approved.