+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

left country on expired TRV after graduating post grad program

jaynish

May 27, 2019
Hello folks,
need all your help and advice

i left Toronto to go home 1 week after finishing my 2nd and last course. i completely forgot to renew/extend my travel visa when i extended my study permit for the 2nd program . now i am stranded at my home country, had to cancel my return ticket and dying to go back to Canada.

current scenario:
last day of college 17th April 2019
flew on 26th April
study permit valid till 31st July 2019
Visa on passport expired in Nov 2018

applied for a visitor visa - on 4th may
forms asked : imm5708e and imm5257
other uploads included : means of financial support, digital photo and passport copy
( no study permit or college letter asked)
optional document: submitted a word document explaining my situation and mistake along with my valid study permit)
current application status: in progress

i am aware that i am mostly eligible for a Post Graduate work permit but i want to keep it that as a last resort because-
- i will have to renew my passport before applying ( as it expires in 2020)
- will have to cross hurdles with getting graduation letters and official transcripts
- PGWP processing time is 100 days and i cant afford to stay here for so long.

all i want to do is apply for a travel visa / Temporary residence visa on my valid study permit but,
Q1: is this application correct based on the info i have been asked to submit?
Q2: Can i get a TRV on my valid student status if i am officially done with school?
Q3: is there any way to contact CIC in person for the application status?
Q4: What should be the country of residence if i have been in India since 26th April 2019 till date but entered Canada as a student in August 2017 stayed in Canada for 1 year 8 months as a post grad student)

kindly help me in this unfortunate situation with any advice or suggestions you may have or if you know of a friend or immigration expert who is familiar with this case.
Also thank you if you made it so far down for reading the post

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. It may or may not be.

2.If you are officially done with school, your study permit has now expired, even if there is a later date on it. Your institution will report either your completion of studies or the fact that you are no longer attending.

3. You can submit a webform. You cannot really get in touch with them in person aside from calling the call centre, but they are not visa officers and not directly handling your file.

4. If you are in India and cannot get back to Canada without your visa, you are resident in India.

In another thread you said you need to withdraw your TRV application as you made "wrong answers." What exactly happened? Have you misrepresented yourself as being a student when you are not?

Reactions: jaynish

jaynish

May 27, 2019
Thank you so much for your reply. i appreciate it alot

2.If you are officially done with school, your study permit has now expired, even if there is a later date on it. Your institution will report either your completion of studies or the fact that you are no longer attending.
oh my.. so i can no longer enter canada as a student based on the +90 day grace period we get after the course ends where the student status validity runs?

3. You can submit a webform. You cannot really get in touch with them in person aside from calling the call centre, but they are not visa officers and not directly handling your file.
i submitted a webform in the form of an enquiry to ask the status of my application, informed them about my situation and requested to expedite it as it crossed the normal processing time

In another thread you said you need to withdraw your TRV application as you made "wrong answers." What exactly happened? Have you misrepresented yourself as being a student when you are not?
- yes, i just found out i intended to apply for a student trv but when asked what would you like to do in Canada? i replied as Visit instead of study. so they did not ask for my study permit.
- "in the country of residence?" in the immigration form, i mentioned canada where in i should have mentioned india.
- contact information = had to add my canadian address ( did not allow to change country)
- purpose of visit ? i chose visit instead of returning student
- name /institution i will visit = i wrote my landlords name and address
( the above pertains to imm5708 and it seems it has to be filled from within canada only)

hence i was under the impression i made a horrendous mistake, should reapply with purpose as study and country of residence as india. so that it gets redirected to a VAC office somewhere here in india.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you so much for your reply. i appreciate it alot

oh my.. so i can no longer enter canada as a student based on the +90 day grace period we get after the course ends where the student status validity runs?

i submitted a webform in the form of an enquiry to ask the status of my application, informed them about my situation and requested to expedite it as it crossed the normal processing time

- yes, i just found out i intended to apply for a student trv but when asked what would you like to do in Canada? i replied as Visit instead of study. so they did not ask for my study permit.
- "in the country of residence?" in the immigration form, i mentioned canada where in i should have mentioned india.
- contact information = had to add my canadian address ( did not allow to change country)
- purpose of visit ? i chose visit instead of returning student
- name /institution i will visit = i wrote my landlords name and address
( the above pertains to imm5708 and it seems it has to be filled from within canada only)

hence i was under the impression i made a horrendous mistake, should reapply with purpose as study and country of residence as india. so that it gets redirected to a VAC office somewhere here in india.
The grace period is intended to let you stay in Canada legally while you switch status to a visitor in case you haven't applied for a PGWP before your study permit expires. It doesn't allow you to travel outside the country and come back in.

You cannot apply for a student TRV since you don't have a study permit and you aren't a returning student. Your application as a visitor is the correct one.

If your TRV is denied (and it probably will be), the only way to come back will be with a PGWP. If by some chance they approve your visitor visa, then you can come back and then apply for a PGWP

You should immediately apply for a PGWP. Get the ball rolling on applying for a passport and getting your transcripts. You have to apply for a PGWP within 180 days of your study permit expiring. If you wait longer than that, you will no longer be eligible.

Reactions: jaynish

jaynish

May 27, 2019
The grace period is intended to let you stay in Canada legally while you switch status to a visitor in case you haven't applied for a PGWP before your study permit expires. It doesn't allow you to travel outside the country and come back in.

You cannot apply for a student TRV since you don't have a study permit and you aren't a returning student. Your application as a visitor is the correct one.

If your TRV is denied (and it probably will be), the only way to come back will be with a PGWP. If by some chance they approve your visitor visa, then you can come back and then apply for a PGWP

You should immediately apply for a PGWP. Get the ball rolling on applying for a passport and getting your transcripts. You have to apply for a PGWP within 180 days of your study permit expiring. If you wait longer than that, you will no longer be eligible.

thank you so much for clearing my misconceptions. you guys are a legends

just out of curiosity, can i use the web form again (or any other correction tool platform) to inform cic about the error in "country of residence" and request them to transfer my case to any VAC office in india
secondly, can i submit my application for PGWP while i await the final decision on my visitor visa application or do i have to wait for it to get accepted/rejected and then proceed to submit ?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
thank you so much for clearing my misconceptions. you guys are a legends

just out of curiosity, can i use the web form again (or any other correction tool platform) to inform cic about the error in "country of residence" and request them to transfer my case to any VAC office in india
secondly, can i submit my application for PGWP while i await the final decision on my visitor visa application or do i have to wait for it to get accepted/rejected and then proceed to submit ?
"Transferring" your application will make no difference. If you applied online, IRCC sends the application to whichever office has capacity - your application could be processed in Australia for all you know. It makes no difference.

You can submit your application for PGWP right now. You don't have to wait for a rejection.