+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

leaving Canda before PR

owalid

May 15, 2017
Dear All,
I have landed in Canada with my family in march and I stayed in Canada for month then I returned back to my home country without the PR. A month later, I have received an email from CIC requesting for a new photo for my kids. Shall I send the photo from my home country to my friend in canda then he mail it to CIC or what shall I do ? is it legally allowed to leave Canada without the pr after landing ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
It is not illegal to leave Canada after completing an initial PR landing with or without your PR cards. As you are not in the country then of course the PR cards will need to be mailed to a friends address in the country and forwarded to you given without them you are not be able to fly back unless you get PRTDs.

Others can comment but I personally would see no issue with you mailing the photos as requested by CIC from your home country direct to CIC or if makes you feel more comfortable send to friend who can forward. It is just the fact that PR cards themselves cannot be applied for from outside Canada but you applied as part of your initial landing so not the same and this is a specific request from CIC.

Pitt1234

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
I assume by landing you mean you and your family became a PR.

That's fine. CIC requested new photos because they are probably printing your PR cards (to be delivered to the address you gave on landing). You can either mail it directly from your home country or through a friend. No issues.

It's perfectly fine to leave Canada after you became PR as long as you can stay for at least 2 years out of 5. If you want to travel to Canada again, you will either need your PR card or a PR travel document (for which you have to make an application).

Dear All,
I have landed in Canada with my family in march and I stayed in Canada for month then I returned back to my home country without the PR. A month later, I have received an email from CIC requesting for a new photo for my kids. Shall I send the photo from my home country to my friend in canda then he mail it to CIC or what shall I do ? is it legally allowed to leave Canada without the pr after landing ?