+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada Without PR Card to Visit USA

baba7

Jan 2, 2010
Hi

My parents are coming to Canada for their PR Immigration in March end 2010 from India. I am Canadian Citizen living in USA on Temporary Work Visa. As per cic.gc.ca website; waiting time to get a PR Card for New Immigrants is 30 days. I am traveling to USA in March end to receive my parents. Is it OK if they can leave Canada without having PR Card? They will be receiving their PR Card on my Cousin's home adderess who will be sending it through Courier to USA. They will be going back to India from USA and need not re-enter to Canada in this year. My parents has valid US Tourist Visa on their passport. We are planning to enter to USA from Windsor / Detroit Border. Do US Immigration offficer ask for their PR Card while entering to USA??

I would very obliged if you can help me with this matter.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
no, they don't need PR card to leave Canada, even to enter Canada without PR card is not a big problem. they will have their COPR with them that proves their PR. when your cousin receives their PR cards he/she can mail the cards to them and this way they will be able to enter Canada without any problems. if they don't have PR card, they still be able to enter Canada, but they will need to get a travelling document from the Canadian consulate in their country of residence.
to enter the USA they don't need any proof of Canadian residence - the only document they need to show at the US border to enter is a valid US visa.

baba7

Jan 2, 2010
Thank you very very much for your valuable input. I was really confused and about to ask my parents to stay in Canada until they receive their PR Card but now we can come to USA all toghether.

One more question; I have applied for my Parents Sponsership when I was in Alberta and Is it OK if they land in Toronto? Do visa officer ask about my whereabouts? Can they say he is working in USA and not living in Canada at present.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can travel on the COPR without a problem if you are traveling in a private car. If you fly or take a commercial carrier traveling without a PR card may pose a problem as the carrier may refuse boarding.

They can land in Toronto without a problem, unless it was through a PNP that demands that they land in the right province, but I don't think there's any such condition...

baba7 said:
Thank you very very much for your valuable input. I was really confused and about to ask my parents to stay in Canada until they receive their PR Card but now we can come to USA all toghether.

One more question; I have applied for my Parents Sponsership when I was in Alberta and Is it OK if they land in Toronto? Do visa officer ask about my whereabouts? Can they say he is working in USA and not living in Canada at present.

baba7

Jan 2, 2010
Thanks for your comment. Do you mean traveling to USA or traveling to Canada as re-entry through commercial carrier is a problem without PR card?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
baba7 said:
Thanks for your comment. Do you mean traveling to USA or traveling to Canada as re-entry through commercial carrier is a problem without PR card?
re-entry to Canada. for this purpose your parents will need to get a travelling document from the local Canadian embassy/consulate. USA entry has nothing to do with Canadian visas or PR cards.