+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada - When to notify provincial health insurance of my departure ?

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
Hi guys,

I left Canada (BC) on September 3rd, but I haven't contacted MSP (the BC healthcare system) to notify them. I don't have healthcare in my new place of residence, because I have to wait 3 months until I can get residency and healthcare coverage here (so November 3rd).

Do I have to:
  1. Tell MSP that I left Canada on September 3rd, lose Canadian healthcare coverage on October 3rd (1 month after departure) and take an international health insurance for the gap period (2 months), or
  2. Get covered in my new place of residence on November 3rd, thereby officially staying covered by MSP (though I'm not in BC anymore), and then tell them I moved out once registered as a resident in the foreign country and covered by healthcare here. In that case, which date of departure do I need to notify MSP?
Thank you,

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

I left Canada (BC) on September 3rd, but I haven't contacted MSP (the BC healthcare system) to notify them. I don't have healthcare in my new place of residence, because I have to wait 3 months until I can get residency and healthcare coverage here (so November 3rd).

Do I have to:
  1. Tell MSP that I left Canada on September 3rd, lose Canadian healthcare coverage on October 3rd (1 month after departure) and take an international health insurance for the gap period (2 months), or
  2. Get covered in my new place of residence on November 3rd, thereby officially staying covered by MSP (though I'm not in BC anymore), and then tell them I moved out once registered as a resident in the foreign country and covered by healthcare here. In that case, which date of departure do I need to notify MSP?
Thank you,
Your questions seems complicated. You might want to call their number at (604) 683-7151, by mail or send them an email:

mspenquiries@hibc.gov.bc.ca

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys,

Do I have to:
Thank you,
How long have you spent in BC? In the past few years? Having a valid health card doesn’t necessarily mean that you qualify for healthcare. You also need to meet the residency obligations to qualify for MSP and make the province your primary home. You need to inform MSP once you leave BC permanently if leaving Canada. You should take out medical insurance for wherever you are living because you will have minimal or no coverage from MSP if you need to seek out medical care abroad.