+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada by air after sending passport copy

ginasfs07

Nov 21, 2016
Yesterday I received my email stating 'ready for visa' from IRCC and instructing me to send a copy of my passport. I am from the UK so a photocopy is enough - I don't need to mail it. The deadline given was 30 days to submit the documents.
I have a flight to the UK booked for the 23rd of December returning the 29th and I want to make sure that I can leave and re-enter Canada without problems during this time, as friends who have done the PR process said they were unable to leave while they were waiting for their PR card.
If I send my documents away, am I okay to leave and return while I am waiting for them to mail them back? (I currently have foreign worker status) What if they return the documents and confirmation of permanent residence before I leave or while I'm away - would I still be able to re-enter using my worker status? I called CIC to ask and the agent seemed unsure of what I was asking so I wondered if anyone here has a similar experience, so I can be 100% sure.
Thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I have a flight to the UK booked for the 23rd of December returning the 29th and I want to make sure that I can leave and re-enter Canada without problems during this time, as friends who have done the PR process said they were unable to leave while they were waiting for their PR card.
1) Waiting for a PR card is a completely different situation than waiting for a COPR. You will be in that situation as soon as you land, but not before then.
2) send the copy of the passport ASAP, and you should have plenty of time to get the COPR before you leave. Include a note about your travel plans (and scan of the tickets).

If I send my documents away, am I okay to leave and return while I am waiting for them to mail them back? (I currently have foreign worker status) What if they return the documents and confirmation of permanent residence before I leave or while I'm away - would I still be able to re-enter using my worker status?
Two completely different scenarios. If they return the COPR before you leave, then you take it with you, and land as PR when you return.
In the unlikely event you don't receive it before you leave, you will be gone a short time, you should be able to return on your work permit.