+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving after work visa expires with implied status??

blackcat37

Nov 11, 2021
My situation is a bit special - I received my PGWP but was told I needed to renew my passport then apply to renew the PGWP. I did both, but it hasnt even arrived yet and I doubt it will be renewed before the old one expires. Now the problem is, I will likely be leaving Canada to return to my country anyway, but this will only be possible around October. So by that time my work permit will have expired, the new one won't be here yet, and I have no way of proving the implied status since it was a by-mail application, not online.

My question: will there be a problem if I leave the country a few months after my work visa expires? To be clear, I'm not trying to re-enter or anything, just to leave back to my home country / my passport origin country. Will they check my status upon departure? If so, how can I prove to them that I did indeed renew my application before it expired? Will this cause any legal issues for me? Pls help!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

My situation is a bit special - I received my PGWP but was told I needed to renew my passport then apply to renew the PGWP. I did both, but it hasnt even arrived yet and I doubt it will be renewed before the old one expires. Now the problem is, I will likely be leaving Canada to return to my country anyway, but this will only be possible around October. So by that time my work permit will have expired, the new one won't be here yet, and I have no way of proving the implied status since it was a by-mail application, not online.

My question: will there be a problem if I leave the country a few months after my work visa expires? To be clear, I'm not trying to re-enter or anything, just to leave back to my home country / my passport origin country. Will they check my status upon departure? If so, how can I prove to them that I did indeed renew my application before it expired? Will this cause any legal issues for me? Pls help!
1. Canada doesn't have exit controls.