+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving after applying citizenship with dual PR(AU,CA)

Silvi6

Jan 17, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi Everyone,

I was looking for some answers, people might have experienced or witnessed some cases which might help me in making decisions.

I have PR of Australia and Canada both. Lived in Australia for 4-5 months and later on moved to Canada.

When I applied for Canada PR, I was having PR of Australia. As far as I remember, in PR application of Canada, they didn't ask if you have PR of any other country.
- Is my memory right?

I just completed my 1095 days of physical presence in Canada. Landed on 15 October 2015 as a PR with my Spouse.
Absence from Canada: 2 months to India and 4 days to the US (in 2017 & 2016)

I am working full time since landing here. My spouse initially worked full time for a few months and then as a Self Employed for the past 2 years and again full time for the past 8 months.

Last year our son was born here and so he is a Canadian Citizen.

We are planning to send individual applications for my spouse and myself as I would be leaving for Australia after the application and my spouse would stay here as I intend to get back in a year or so. That's why I think it will be better if we have separate applications.

I can come back to attend the Test/Interview and Oath Ceremony.
My Canada PR Card is valid till December 2020.

My another question is - As I would be outside of Canada during Citizenship application processing, How they will count my physical presence days? As the application can take a few months to a year, will my previous 1095 days of presence be still valid? They say the presence of 3 years out of the past 5 years.

So I believe, presence criteria will still be valid if they are taking past 5 years even before I was granted PR.
Past 5 years will be like Dec 2013-Dec 2018(application still valid)

I can prove my presence in Canada as -
- I worked full time.
- Son was born here.
- Rental lease of at least 2.5 years on my name only but my spouse's name mentioned on that.
- Utility bills on my name.
- Tax returns, Self Employed returns
- Passport entry/exit stamps. Though there are only 2 trips out of Canada.
- Bank Statements

What else do you think can be shown as physical presence proof?

I know I can get RQ which can delay the application, even in that case, say the application get delayed by a few more months and it goes to April/May 2020. Will my application still be valid from physical presence perspective as I was in Canada from 2015 to 2018 only? Taking past 5 years from April/May 2020.

Do you guys see any other issue?

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
I guess your situation is rare. Here are two related ones:
1. People reported moving to USA, and some have US PR, after applying citizenship and got their citizenship granted.
2. Myself also hold an Australia PR, but I'm waiting in Canada. Though my case takes much longer than others, the Officer told me it was because there are too many applications. I declared my AU PR, but they didn't ask or mention during the interview.

So it seems leaving Canada isn't a problem and PR status in another isn't a problem either.