+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

language requirements for Live-in caregivers

carabistoule

Aug 8, 2014
I can't find on the official immigration website what level is required to apply, it's only written:

You must be able to speak, read and understand either English or French so that you can function on your own in your employer’s home. For example, you must be able to call emergency services if they are needed, and to understand labels on medication. You will be unsupervised for most of the day and may have to communicate with someone outside the home. You can also read and understand your rights and obligations if you can function in English or French.

Do I even need to take the IESTL?
Can I take the French exam even If my future employer is in an English speaking province?

mylady833

Sep 28, 2011
Saskatoon
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25, 2013
Doc's Request.
Aip May 15, 2014, DM July 12,2014
Interview........
07-08-2014
LANDED..........
07-08-2014
carabistoule said:
I can't find on the official immigration website what level is required to apply, it's only written:

You must be able to speak, read and understand either English or French so that you can function on your own in your employer's home. For example, you must be able to call emergency services if they are needed, and to understand labels on medication. You will be unsupervised for most of the day and may have to communicate with someone outside the home. You can also read and understand your rights and obligations if you can function in English or French.

Do I even need to take the IESTL?
Can I take the French exam even If my future employer is in an English speaking province?
You can submit IELTS result if you already taken the exam just to prove about your English proficiency. In other country like Philippines they have the so called SPEAK TEST to determine the applicant's English proficiency and in some country they conduct a personal inteview. Are you going to work in Quebec?

carabistoule

Aug 8, 2014
Thanks for your reply, mylady833. I'll go wherever I can find a position. I'm a French national but I live in China, how do I know if I need to have an interview and then, where should It take place? I didn't see anything about that matter on the website of the Canadian embassy in France...