June 2012
Passport Req..
September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
September 2012
LANDED..........
November 2012 Vancouver, BC
Hi All,

Soon I will be applying for citizenship. We (Wife and I) migrated to Canada in FSW Program (IT professional) in 2012.

I have a masters in computer science, studied English as a subject and several other subjects in English language. I passed IELTS in year 2012 and I have the copy of results. My Wife has Master in Arts and she has studied English as a subject in her bachelors degree (BA) in India.

My question is, do we need to appear in IELTS again or we can attach our transcripts as the proof of language proficiency.

Thanks

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
Hi All,

Soon I will be applying for citizenship. We (Wife and I) migrated to Canada in FSW Program (IT professional) in 2012.

I have a masters in computer science, studied English as a subject and several other subjects in English language. I passed IELTS in year 2012 and I have the copy of results. My Wife has Master in Arts and she has studied English as a subject in her bachelors degree (BA) in India.

My question is, do we need to appear in IELTS again or we can attach our transcripts as the proof of language proficiency.

Thanks
You should be able to use your old IELTS results. As for your wife, she needs to provide a diploma/transcripts that are IN ENGLISH or FRENCH, or a translation of the diploma to English or French, and a declaration from her university that her program was completed fully in English or French. If it was not, then unfortunately she's going to have to take a new test. Here is the relevant section of the instructions:

Your proof must be:

• from a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French
  • written in English or French
Here are the sources:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/language-proof.html

Reactions: PankajK

PankajK

Mar 22, 2009
Vancouver, BC CANADA
Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
July 2009
AOR Received.
November 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
Passport Req..
September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
September 2012
LANDED..........
You should be able to use your old IELTS results. As for your wife, she needs to provide a diploma/transcripts that are IN ENGLISH or FRENCH, or a translation of the diploma to English or French, and a declaration from her university that her program was completed fully in English or French. If it was not, then unfortunately she's going to have to take a new test. Here is the relevant section of the instructions:

Your proof must be:

• from a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French
  • written in English or French
Here are the sources:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/language-proof.html

My Wife studied Bachelor of Arts in India, with subjects such as:
English Language as subject,
Hindi Language as subject,
Political Science (in Hindi)
Indian History (in Hindi)
etc etc..

She also completed another post-secondary diploma with English language as a subject in it. Does this qualify as a valid proof?

Just to be clear language of instruction was english ONLY for english subject, for other subjects it was Hindi/Punjabi.

Last edited:

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
My Wife studied Bachelor of Arts in India, with subjects such as:
English Language as subject,
Hindi Language as subject,
Political Science (in Hindi)
Indian History (in Hindi)
etc etc..

She also completed another post-secondary diploma with English language as a subject in it. Does this qualify as a valid proof?

Just to be clear language of instruction was english ONLY for english subject, for other subjects it was Hindi/Punjabi.
As I understand it, NO, that does not qualify. The person has to have completed the full program IN English or French, and they need a letter from the university stating that the full course what taught in English or French, if the diploma/transcript is not written in English or French.
She has to take a third party test, or the CLBT test, as per the instructions in the link I provided.

Reactions: PankajK

PankajK

Mar 22, 2009
Vancouver, BC CANADA
Visa Office......
SINGAPORE
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
July 2009
AOR Received.
November 2010
Med's Done....
June 2012
Passport Req..
September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
September 2012
LANDED..........
As I understand it, NO, that does not qualify. The person has to have completed the full program IN English or French, and they need a letter from the university stating that the full course what taught in English or French, if the diploma/transcript is not written in English or French.
She has to take a third party test, or the CLBT test, as per the instructions in the link I provided.
Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: EstherBarros

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
This may sound silly, but my high school transcripts are in English with 4 years worth of English courses. That's enough , right? My high school was obviously taught in English and the transcript is written in English.

fsarosh

Aug 9, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Year 2010
Med's Request
28-04-2013
Med's Done....
15-05-2013
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2013
LANDED..........
22-01-2014
Let me share my own personal experience that is 100% same like yours. I have an expired ielts so i submitted that one. My wife did her graduation from Pakistan so we arranged a letter from her college in Pakistan. Both documents were accepted and we took the oath of citizenship last month.

Ajeet10

Apr 16, 2024
Hi all

i am soon going to be applying for my canadian citizenship and i need your advise for the documents proof of language proficiency.

i took a general ielts exam for my pr but unfortunately have no longer have a copy of my results anywhere online i checked with british council and ielts and they hold no records of my results as its past two years.

But in terms of proof im reading that i can submit transcripts or degrees.

i finished BA in art and design in india and two post secondary programs in animation in canada. All of them in english language and no other languages.

can i submit these transcripts as a proof.
The post secondary programs in canada was fully completed in english but please note that i didnt have “english” as a subject. The entire programs was in english though.

Kindly help me understand
Thanks
Ajeet

CanGoldDigger

Feb 17, 2024
Ottawa
Hi all

i am soon going to be applying for my canadian citizenship and i need your advise for the documents proof of language proficiency.

i took a general ielts exam for my pr but unfortunately have no longer have a copy of my results anywhere online i checked with british council and ielts and they hold no records of my results as its past two years.

But in terms of proof im reading that i can submit transcripts or degrees.

i finished BA in art and design in india and two post secondary programs in animation in canada. All of them in english language and no other languages.

can i submit these transcripts as a proof.
The post secondary programs in canada was fully completed in english but please note that i didnt have “english” as a subject. The entire programs was in english though.

Kindly help me understand
Thanks
Ajeet
You can send one of a number of different documents to show that you meet the language requirement, including:
  • the results of an IRCC-approved third-party test
  • proof from certain government-funded language training programs
  • proof of completion of secondary or post-secondary education in English or French, in Canada or abroad
https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=571#

Ajeet10

Apr 16, 2024
You can send one of a number of different documents to show that you meet the language requirement, including:
  • the results of an IRCC-approved third-party test
  • proof from certain government-funded language training programs
  • proof of completion of secondary or post-secondary education in English or French, in Canada or abroad
https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=571#
Thanks for the quick response. Yes I Did two years of post secondary education in 3D animation in canada at seneca college .

but the doubt is should english be a part as a “subject “ or just used as a medium is where i am being confused. I didnt have “english” as one of the classes in the course.

All of my classes where in English medium to subjects relative to animation and techniques.

Ajeet10

Apr 16, 2024
My entire transcript is in english and the program was taken in a toronto based college so would that good enough?

i can definitely try to reach out my school for the letter

thanks for your help

Reactions: CanGoldDigger

CanGoldDigger

Feb 17, 2024
Ottawa
My entire transcript is in english and the program was taken in a toronto based college so would that good enough?

i can definitely try to reach out my school for the letter

thanks for your help
It should be enough but to play it as safe as possible, you would better try to reach out to the college and get that letter.

Ajeet10

Apr 16, 2024
It should be enough but to play it as safe as possible, you would better try to reach out to the college and get that letter.
Appreciate your help!
I tried everything to get a hold of my ielts but have failed. Hopefully these transcript should showcase as good proof for my language proficiency documents

thanks once again!