+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Language requirements - Completion of a secondary or post-secondary program

Moonlight240

Feb 12, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to apply for citizenship next month, I have my Masters degree from Canada. So, I want to send a copy of my master diploma as a language proof.

The CIC website says they will accept proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program, in French or in English, in Canada or abroad. I want to know the experience of people who actually applied for citizenship by providing their documents/proof(diploma/transcript) from Canada. Is it safer to take a test( IELTS or CELPIP) than providing language proof documents ? I have done IELTS before but I can not get additional copies.

Also, does it matter if you got your diploma before you became a permanent resident ?

Thanks...

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Moonlight240 said:
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to apply for citizenship next month, I have my Masters degree from Canada. So, I want to send a copy of my master diploma as a language proof.

The CIC website says they will accept proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary program, in French or in English, in Canada or abroad. I want to know the experience of people who actually applied for citizenship by providing their documents/proof(diploma/transcript) from Canada. Is it safer to take a test( IELTS or CELPIP) than providing language proof documents ? I have done IELTS before but I can not get additional copies.

Also, does it matter if you got your diploma before you became a permanent resident ?

Thanks...
No proof of language is "safer" than another as long as it conforms with CIC requirements. When you got your degree is of no matter.

jujuberanch

Mar 26, 2013
You are overthinking. Just send a copy of your diploma, and that's it. I am speaking from my own experience.

Moonlight240 said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks...

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jujuberanch said:
You are overthinking. Just send a copy of your diploma, and that's it. I am speaking from my own experience.
Hi, I got my Bachelor's and Master's degrees (in Business Administration) from Universities in the US before I moved to Canada (I am originally from a 3rd country). I see that in the CIC site, it states in STEP 1 (for language requirement for Citizenship) that if a Diploma/ Degree is completed in English Language then it will will satisfy the requirement.

WILL IT BE OK IF I JUST ATTACH THE COPIES OF THESE DIPLOMAS? I was actually planning to take the CELPIP-LS test as I scored level 8 in the CBLT when assessed at YMCA. It will cost me $170 for the CELPIP-LS (what a cash grab) and I can only book date 3 weeks from now as they are filling up.

Any suggestion?

jujuberanch

Mar 26, 2013
I don't know why you are even asking for suggestions. Just send a copy of your diploma.

goodman36 said:
Hi, I got my Bachelor's and Master's degrees (in Business Administration) from Universities in the US before I moved to Canada (I am originally from a 3rd country). I see that in the CIC site, it states in STEP 1 (for language requirement for Citizenship) that if a Diploma/ Degree is completed in English Language then it will will satisfy the requirement.

WILL IT BE OK IF I JUST ATTACH THE COPIES OF THESE DIPLOMAS? I was actually planning to take the CELPIP-LS test as I scored level 8 in the CBLT when assessed at YMCA. It will cost me $170 for the CELPIP-LS (what a cash grab) and I can only book date 3 weeks from now as they are filling up.

Any suggestion?

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jujuberanch said:
I don't know why you are even asking for suggestions. Just send a copy of your diploma.
Thanks.

Should I just send copies of the Diplomas or do I need to include the Transcripts too?

jujuberanch

Mar 26, 2013
DIPLOMA. ONE DIPLOMA. EVEN IF YOU HAVE TWO. JUST ONE! Try to keep things simple.

goodman36 said:
Thanks.

Should I just send copies of the Diplomas or do I need to include the Transcripts too?

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jujuberanch said:
DIPLOMA. ONE DIPLOMA. EVEN IF YOU HAVE TWO. JUST ONE! Try to keep things simple.
Ok. Thanks. I got my bachelor's degree from the States in 1992. Hope that will be OK. I don't want to find out after 3 months that CIC won't accept it although in CIC's website it clearly states on Step1 that any Diploma program in English done from Abroad is acceptable.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp

Moonlight240

Feb 12, 2014
Thanks for your comments. I'm going to send a copy of my master degree diploma, as my bachelor degree from abroad University. In addition, it is the latest completed program I have done. I hope that will be OK.

rizcom123

Dec 19, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I sent my application with Masters degree certificate (copy) only, graduated from the UK University. But i'm yet to receive the AOR, until then it's a question mark. :'(

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rizcom123 said:
I sent my application with Masters degree certificate (copy) only, graduated from the UK University. But i'm yet to receive the AOR, until then it's a question mark. :'(
When did you sent it?