+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

language proficiency (English) form United States

J

johnyun78

According to my consultant who handle all my immigration work;
claims that is better to take the english test; and make use of those
written documents as supporting documents to prove your ability in English Language...
(never give CIC the chance to reduce your points)
All these might reduce the chances of having an interview session with the Immigration Officer.

jjme

Mar 24, 2008
Just for clarification ...

HOw does CIC determine if your native language is or is not English? Is it purely by your country of nativity? And language of instruction from schools?

I know IELTS is the only way CIC can have gurantee of our language proficiency ... but I'm looking to hear of other options. If anyone has successfully proved they are proficient in ENglish without taking IELTS, please share your story.

To me, I think it is ridiculous to re-take an english proficiency exam when I have already done it to qualify for university in Canada. If I wasn't good enough to qualify for university studies, I wouldn't be able to come study in Canada in the first place.

I have studied Grade 12 and university in Canada. I successfully graduated and got a job in Canada. Hence, the company would not have hired me if I was not proficient in English. Additionally, I have numerous colleagues who can give me reference that I have excellent communication skills in English.

Your guidance will be much appreciated.

bujji1

Dec 9, 2007
We four friends applied together for CANADA PR 5 months ago from USA Detroit . We are basically from India and working in USA for past 5 years.

First Candidate ( Its me ) :- I set all ( Reading, writing, speaking , listening ) high in application form , I got a letter from immigration office to take the test . Without considering English I have 61 marks.
Second Candidate: - He did set all high in application form; He did his Masters in USA and has relatives in Canada. He didn't get any letter yet, but got for medical check up. Without considering English he has 65 marks

Third Candidate: - He did set all moderate in application form, Even he got for medical check up .Without considering English he has 61 marks. (FUNNY PART IS HE IS TOOOOOOOO POOOOOOOOR IN ENGLSIH, I am not kidding)

Fourth Candidate: - The same case like me, He got letter.

So preparing for the TEST.

Few silly questions, we are filling the form for IELTS and got few doubts

1) There is a box in the first page, side mentioned PLEASE RETURN TO: (CENTRE STAMP):- Do I need to do any thing with it?
2) Question 17 How do I know center has computerized test or not (I am going to take it at Cleveland, OH, USA)?
3) Question 20, where are you currently studying English (I am working as a Project manager in Computer industry)
4) We did masters in India and all our education is in English, studying one month for the exam is fine or it needs more time?

Thanks a lot all

kollyman

Apr 28, 2008
If you are really proficient in English, you should not have problem in passing IELTS exam to get the immigration points. The letter proof does not work at all. You will still be required to write the exam. If possible write the exam and send the result as part of your documents. If you are asked to provide IELTS result at a later date, it takes time to apply and prepare for the exam which in turn, delay your application. An IELTs class might help if you are not sure of your proficiency level.

gjp

Star Member
Feb 15, 2008
Bujji1,
I was also asked to take the IELTS exam since I stated my proficiency in English as 'High'. Answers for your questions:
1. I dont think you have anything to do with this
2. Just contact the center and checked with them. That is what I did.
3. Just mention 'N/A'
4. If you are good in English, one month is enough

amiableelf

May 31, 2008
Florida,USA
My native language is not English, however I have a Master's Degree from a US Institution and currently pursuing Doctorate in another US University. Do you (anyone) think I would still need to take the IELTS exam? My guess would be "yes" as IELTS is British English based while TOEFL (I took both of them, the CBT and IBT) is American English based. However, opinions/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Elf

SabinaNie

Jun 6, 2008
Ditto here! I did my BS and MS programs in the US (I have taken the TOEFL, SAT and GRE).
However they still did not seem to accept my written statement and asked for IELTS.
Anyway, I got an overall average is 8 with 9.5 in speaking and listening. Take that suckas
[/quote]

I'm ESL Teacher with 4 years experience here in US. Still, I was asked to take the test. My overall score was 8.5 and I don't understand how you got 9.5 in speaking and listening if you can only get 9 max?
Take that!