+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Question: Which Option is Faster?

jameskzhao

Jun 6, 2014
Hi All,

I have received my immigrant visa along with a CPR from CIC. Since I am currently residing in Canada, I have 2 options to get PR:

1. Call CIC to arrange an appointment (no need to leave Canada)

2. Leave Canada and re-enter.

I heard that for the second option, after re-entering Canada, I am expected to wait as long as 2 months to get my PR card. Is it faster if I use the first option?

scoot

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
Flagpoling is fastest option,it can take 2-3 months on average to get an appointment at a cic office,unless they are moving faster now.
Can't hurt to give them a call and ask when you could get an appointment!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It will take the same amount of time to receive your PR card regardless of how you land.

Toronto2013

Jul 18, 2013
jameskzhao said:
Hi All,

I have received my immigrant visa along with a CPR from CIC. Since I am currently residing in Canada, I have 2 options to get PR:

1. Call CIC to arrange an appointment (no need to leave Canada)

2. Leave Canada and re-enter.

I heard that for the second option, after re-entering Canada, I am expected to wait as long as 2 months to get my PR card. Is it faster if I use the first option?
I called CIC for an appointment at their office in Toronto. The next day I received an email from CIC with an appointment date in 10 days. I landed yesterday at CIC office and it was very smooth. They corrected the errors in my COPR there it self.

Regardless of where you land, PR card will take the same time. I was told by CIC that it would take 8-10 weeks to receive the PR card.

gag#may2014

Mar 15, 2015
Toronto2013 said:
I called CIC for an appointment at their office in Toronto. The next day I received an email from CIC with an appointment date in 10 days. I landed yesterday at CIC office and it was very smooth. They corrected the errors in my COPR there it self.

Regardless of where you land, PR card will take the same time. I was told by CIC that it would take 8-10 weeks to receive the PR card.
hey can you share... what are the documents they ask for... ?

Toronto2013

Jul 18, 2013
gag#may2014 said:
hey can you share... what are the documents they ask for... ?
COPR and Passport though in the appointment letter that CIC sends you, they would ask for 2 recent passport size pictures but they didn't take them.

Also take your SIN paper along with you. They would give you the new SIN after you become a PR.

mjaffer53

Star Member
Feb 18, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2014
AOR Received.
Feb 2014
Med's Request
Jan 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 2015
Passport Req..
March 2015
VISA ISSUED...
April 2015
LANDED..........
April 2015
Toronto2013 said:
COPR and Passport though in the appointment letter that CIC sends you, they would ask for 2 recent passport size pictures but they didn't take them.

Also take your SIN paper along with you. They would give you the new SIN after you become a PR.
Did you call the call center to get the appointment? Is it just any CIC office that takes the appointment for landing?

Toronto2013

Jul 18, 2013
mjaffer53 said:
Did you call the call center to get the appointment? Is it just any CIC office that takes the appointment for landing?
You have to call the Call center. They will take your request and will tell you which office to do the landing and also will tell you that CIC would send an email with an appointment within 2 weeks but CIC sent it the next day. The appointment letter has information on CIC office address, date and time.

When you receive your COPR, there will be a letter with details on which number to call if you choose to land at CIC office.

Hope this helps.

Cabalen

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014
Med's Request
05-11-2014
Med's Done....
06-11-2014
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
21-03-2015
I might go to the border on Saturday but still thinking if I will call CIC and check the wait times.

But then again not everybody can drive to the border. So it is more of a convenience which option you will choose.

It's going to be 1.5 hours drive to Niagara Falls for me or wait for the appointment for a 10min drive to CIC Kitchener.

I feel so excited and want to land already. So that is also one factor I am considering.

Toronto2013

Jul 18, 2013
Cabalen said:
I might go to the border on Saturday but still thinking if I will call CIC and check the wait times.

But then again not everybody can drive to the border. So it is more of a convenience which option you will choose.

It's going to be 1.5 hours drive to Niagara Falls for me or wait for the appointment for a 10min drive to CIC Kitchener.

I feel so excited and want to land already. So that is also one factor I am considering.
In my case, there were errors on my COPR - error in original entry date and last entry date. I wanted to get them corrected and landing at CIC office is a convenient way to do that. Else one has to g through amendment process thatwould take 6 weeks or more.

If all of your details are correct on COPR then you can choose any option.

Cabalen

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014
Med's Request
05-11-2014
Med's Done....
06-11-2014
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2015
LANDED..........
21-03-2015
Oh I see.... I thought that can be done as well in the border.

Good thing ours are all correct.

mjaffer53

Star Member
Feb 18, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2014
AOR Received.
Feb 2014
Med's Request
Jan 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 2015
Passport Req..
March 2015
VISA ISSUED...
April 2015
LANDED..........
April 2015
Toronto2013 said:
You have to call the Call center. They will take your request and will tell you which office to do the landing and also will tell you that CIC would send an email with an appointment within 2 weeks but CIC sent it the next day. The appointment letter has information on CIC office address, date and time.

When you receive your COPR, there will be a letter with details on which number to call if you choose to land at CIC office.

Hope this helps.
Yes, it did. Thanks.