+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing doubts

sajitma

Aug 21, 2010
I am planning to land In Toronto on Feb 15 this year.. was planning to stay one week this time and then move to Canada by this year end...I got most of the points clarified from the other posts and especially the detailed advices by seniors.. But wanted to get some more points, pls excuse if these have been mentioned earlier..

1. Do I need to keep all original certificates of supporting documents including degree, birth, marriage etc..(copies submitted during initial stages)..Will the IO at the airport ask for these too in any case??If so should I keep the originals or copies??

2. Things to bring - Actually am not having any plans regarding the things to be send later.. So should I put in a list of anticiapted items including jewellery, electronics and all, that I plan to send later.ie..as I dont have any idea, is it safe to just write a vague idea..there are chances that I might bring only part of the items that I mention? Is it ok?? will that save on my customs??

3. Opening bank account - Is it advisable to open a Scotia bank account from India before I land and issue a credit card??(keeping in mind am planning to stay only for 1 week this time)

Can somebody advice me what to do???

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Do I need to keep all original certificates of supporting documents including degree, birth, marriage etc..(copies submitted during initial stages)..Will the IO at the airport ask for these too in any case??If so should I keep the originals or copies??
>>> about these documents nothing will be asked. You are required to keep passport, CoPR, POF, list of goods accompanying and following with you/ in your handbag.

2. Things to bring - Actually am not having any plans regarding the things to be send later.. So should I put in a list of anticiapted items including jewellery, electronics and all, that I plan to send later.ie..as I dont have any idea, is it safe to just write a vague idea..there are chances that I might bring only part of the items that I mention? Is it ok?? will that save on my customs??
>>>> For jewellery you need pictures and for electronics you need product details. No harm in writing it in the list and later on you can anytime bring to Canada.

3. Opening bank account - Is it advisable to open a Scotia bank account from India before I land and issue a credit card??(keeping in mind am planning to stay only for 1 week this time)

>>>> If you are going to stay just 1 week then you have option of - not opening the account, open it so that you can use it later on to transfer amount, remember that the bank makes the account dormant if no transaction is reported in 1 year. You can also open the account in India and then visit branch here to validate it.

Hope I am able to clear some of the doubts.

sajitma

Aug 21, 2010
Thanks a lot explorer.. thats clear..

Was worried as all my original documents are kept in India and am already out of India..Even I saw in the site to keep the supporting documents in hand, so was worried if these originals are a must..

I think I will jsut prepare a vague list of some items to be brought in next time...

Also does it bring a negative imapct like to tell the IO that I will be returning the next week itself or its just usual for them??

candy4

Jan 24, 2011
Hi, can anyone clarify is we can bring prescription medications from another country while landing? Thanks