+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Canada with PRTD, Can I get my PR Card?

rohanta

Jun 2, 2024
I am outside of Canada. My PR card expired in 2009. Applied for PRTD.
Got approval for PRTD.
Now entering Canada with PRTD.
Upon landing, can I apply for new PR card?
If yes, will that be 5yr validity card? So that I can travel outside of Canada for Business purposes and maintain residency by staying 2yrs of 5yrs

CanGoldDigger

Feb 17, 2024
Ottawa
You can, if you meet the residency requirements.

Residency requirements
The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) establishes residency requirements and obligations with respect to each 5-year period after an individual obtains permanent resident status.

Pursuant to subsection A28(2), a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation provisions with respect to a 5-year period if, for at least 730 days in that 5-year period, the permanent resident is

• physically present in Canada
  • accompanying outside of Canadaa Canadian citizen who is their
    • spouse
    • common-law partner
    • parent, in the case of a child
  • employed outside Canadaon a full-time basis by
    • a Canadian business or
    • the federal or a provincial or territorial public administration
  • accompanying outside Canada their spouse, common-law partner, or parent (in the case of a child), where the person they accompany is a permanent resident andis employed on a full-time basis by
    • a Canadian business or
  • referred to in regulations that provide for other means of compliance
Determining if residency requirements are met
Officers shall use the date that an application is officially received in the office in the examination of residency status. Using this date does not disadvantage the applicant in any way if the formal assessment of an application is delayed for any period of time following receipt of the application.

At the examination, it is sufficient for those who have been permanent residents for

• 5 years or more to demonstrate that they have met their residency requirements in the 5 years immediately before the examination
  • less than 5 years to demonstrate that they will be able to meet their residency requirements using the day they became a permanent resident as the starting date
Note: Officers may not exclude the possibility that an applicant who has resided abroad for 3 years may still be able to comply with the residency obligation during the remaining 2 years of the 5-year period.

rohanta

Jun 2, 2024
You can, if you meet the residency requirements.

Residency requirements
The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) establishes residency requirements and obligations with respect to each 5-year period after an individual obtains permanent resident status.

Pursuant to subsection A28(2), a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation provisions with respect to a 5-year period if, for at least 730 days in that 5-year period, the permanent resident is

• physically present in Canada
  • accompanying outside of Canadaa Canadian citizen who is their
    • spouse
    • common-law partner
    • parent, in the case of a child
  • employed outside Canadaon a full-time basis by
    • a Canadian business or
  • accompanying outside Canada their spouse, common-law partner, or parent (in the case of a child), where the person they accompany is a permanent resident andis employed on a full-time basis by
    • a Canadian business or
  • referred to in regulations that provide for other means of compliance
Determining if residency requirements are met
Officers shall use the date that an application is officially received in the office in the examination of residency status. Using this date does not disadvantage the applicant in any way if the formal assessment of an application is delayed for any period of time following receipt of the application.

At the examination, it is sufficient for those who have been permanent residents for

• 5 years or more to demonstrate that they have met their residency requirements in the 5 years immediately before the examination
  • less than 5 years to demonstrate that they will be able to meet their residency requirements using the day they became a permanent resident as the starting date
Note: Officers may not exclude the possibility that an applicant who has resided abroad for 3 years may still be able to comply with the residency obligation during the remaining 2 years of the 5-year period.

rohanta

Jun 2, 2024
Thanks for the reply.
Does that mean I need to stay in Canada for 2yrs to meet the requirement before getting the PR Card? As I have NOT stayed in Canada in last 5 yrs
Means I can NOT travel outsode of Canada. If I travel then I need another PRTD to enter.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for the reply.
Does that mean I need to stay in Canada for 2yrs to meet the requirement before getting the PR Card? As I have NOT stayed in Canada in last 5 yrs
Means I can NOT travel outsode of Canada. If I travel then I need another PRTD to enter.
What code is on PRTD?

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am outside of Canada. My PR card expired in 2009. Applied for PRTD.
Got approval for PRTD.
Now entering Canada with PRTD.
Upon landing, can I apply for new PR card?
If yes, will that be 5yr validity card? So that I can travel outside of Canada for Business purposes and maintain residency by staying 2yrs of 5yrs
Depends on what code is listed on your PRTD.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes. Not longer a 5 years period it is a rolling period so you need to be in Canada for 2 out of the past 5 years on any day to remain compliant with your RO.

Reactions: rohanta

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The RC-1 code means that your PRTD was approved for humanitarian and compassiionate reasons. In most important consequence, it means you can apply for the PR card immediately.

You can search here, I think the first couple links are reasonably accurate:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=canada+prtd+rc-1+code

And once you get the PR card, you can mostly travel for your personal and business reasons as you stated - assuming those are mostly relatively short trips abroad.

BUT: it is not a 'permanent forgiveness' for the residency obligation. You still need to maintain the 2 years in 5. As I understand, there's not much likelihood that you would have any issues as long as you basically reside in Canada most of the time and are doing normal short trips.

Reactions: YVR123 and rohanta

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Looks like you got your PRTD under H&C.
You can apply for a PR card and it would likely have 1 year validity.
Use this card to get your IDs, health card, driver's license, SIN (as needed) ...etc

Stay in Canada to meet your RO (2 years in rolling 5 years).
Once you meet your RO, you can apply for PR card renewal. (That would have 5 years expiry)

Reactions: rohanta

ahmedraza01

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello guys,

I am applying PRTD for my mother as her PR card is expired last month, She has met the RO, the only thing i want to ask that if i need to include the LOE or not ?
after completing my application it still show "in progress" insted of "ready to submit" any idea why ?

and secondly please advice that Is it mandatory to provide the proof to show that i met the RO as per checklist and application guide,

Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation
  • You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
    • employment records or pay stubs;
    • bank statements;
    • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
    • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
    • rental agreements;
    • club memberships;
    • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.
please advice if anything needs to attach with the application, and if you have any idea the processing time from Pakistan ?

I really appriciate your help and time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hello guys,

I am applying PRTD for my mother as her PR card is expired last month, She has met the RO, the only thing i want to ask that if i need to include the LOE or not ?
after completing my application it still show "in progress" insted of "ready to submit" any idea why ?

and secondly please advice that Is it mandatory to provide the proof to show that i met the RO as per checklist and application guide,

Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation
  • You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
    • employment records or pay stubs;
    • bank statements;
    • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
    • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
    • rental agreements;
    • club memberships;
    • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.
please advice if anything needs to attach with the application, and if you have any idea the processing time from Pakistan ?

I really appriciate your help and time.
Yes you should provide proof she meets RO.