Landing before CoPR

BartDB

Apr 22, 2022
Belgium
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi,

upon receiving a nomination from the province of Ontario I submitted an application for Permanent Residency (family of four) on March 5th.

As Express Entry clarified that 80% of cases in that status receive Confirmation of Permanent Residency (CoPR) within N days, I calculated that we should get it by mid June and concluded it should be safe to plan our landing on July 4th. Hence I arranged our first month’s stay, booked the flight, made arrangements to sell the house and end my work assignments end of June and arranged transport of the goods we can’t take on our flight.

On April 21st my application got cancelled due to incompleteness. This means a delay of between 7 and 9 weeks in receiving CoPR.

Is there any way in which we can keep our planned landing on July 4th, which is likely without CoPR?

Or should I foresee to only make arrangements to end my stay here as soon as I receive my CoPR?

Kind regards,
Bart

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

upon receiving a nomination from the province of Ontario I submitted an application for Permanent Residency (family of four) on March 5th.

As Express Entry clarified that 80% of cases in that status receive Confirmation of Permanent Residency (CoPR) within N days, I calculated that we should get it by mid June and concluded it should be safe to plan our landing on July 4th. Hence I arranged our first month’s stay, booked the flight, made arrangements to sell the house and end my work assignments end of June and arranged transport of the goods we can’t take on our flight.

On April 21st my application got cancelled due to incompleteness. This means a delay of between 7 and 9 weeks in receiving CoPR.

Is there any way in which we can keep our planned landing on July 4th, which is likely without CoPR?

Or should I foresee to only make arrangements to end my stay here as soon as I receive my CoPR?

Kind regards,
Bart
You can't land without a COPR. So no, you cannot keep your planned landing date. It is impossible to land without a COPR. You need to change your plans.

You should never make landing or travel plans until the COPR is approved. There are many reasons why the process can take longer and approval is never guaranteed. Processing times are also taking significantly longer right now in some cases as a carry-over from COVID.

Anyway, you need to change your plans.

Last edited:

BartDB

Apr 22, 2022
Belgium
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Thanks for your reply.

Is temporary residency not a means to land whilst waiting for PR? I read that a Dual Intent is possible, which could provide a temporary authorisation to live, study & work in Canada whilst awaiting the PR.

Kr,
Bart

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your reply.

Is temporary residency not a means to land whilst waiting for PR? I read that a Dual Intent is possible, which could provide a temporary authorisation to live, study & work in Canada whilst awaiting the PR.

Kr,
Bart
No, temporary residency does not allow this.

A TRV or eTA allows you to visit only as a tourist. You will not be eligible to "land" or import your belongings. You will not be allowed to work in Canada or attend school. You will also not be covered by the Canadian health care system or any other similar services. Basically you would only be in Canada as tourists. Tourists are not eligible to work or study.