+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Labour market opinion work permit

Kiwiz

Jan 16, 2013
Hello

Just wondering if anyone has heard of, or used a labour market opinion form- from their employer- in order to stay in canada while waiting for PR approval?

I am a New Zealander on the IEC one year work visa, which can not be renewed or extended.

I am about to submit my application for outland common law sponsorship (am living in Canada with my partner) and my IEC visa expires in October.

With the fast processing times at the Sydney office, I should get my PR before my visa expires, but I called CIC to enquire what I can do to continue to work, should my visa expire and my PR still not arrive.

Two different agents told me to get my Employer to fill out a labour market opinion form from Human resources and Social Development, and I could get a regular work permit. (Not through IEC at all)

Has anyone done this or heard of it?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They are making it sound simpler than it is. Yes - your employer can submit an application for an LMO and if that LMO is approved then you can apply for a closed work permit. However in order for the LMO to be approved, the employer must first advertise the job and prove they could not find a Canadian to hire for the role. Not all LMOs are approved and the process takes months. Consequently employers are generally hesitant to go through the process.

More information here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

Kiwiz

Jan 16, 2013
Aha, thanks for that.

I think I'm probably better off hoping my PR gets here in time, and if not, then just not working for a month and change my status to visitor while I wait for the PR to come through..