+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LA: Visitor visa application

dogmatix

May 20, 2014
Hello all,

My parents are visiting me - they are on a B2 visa - and we wish to travel to Canada for a week. I have some Qs and I'd greatly appreciate feedback/advice.
1. We have to apply to the LA Consulate for the TRV. Is the online application the only way?
2. Can my parents apply in person? If in person, is it at the Consulate or the VAC? We are citizens of India, and I don't think that we need to submit for biometrics.

For the online application process:
1. How long does the process take - from submitting the application online to receiving the passports and visas back from the Consulate? Our trip is scheduled for the 1st week of July 2014.
2 I started the online application process. They are requesting a copy of my parents' marriage certificate. They don't have one - they were married 40years back - and any records/photos are in India and currently not accessible.
- Can they submit an affidavit and a copy of the last page of the Indian passport as proof of marriage/relationship? The last page contains the name of the spouse.

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dogmatix said:
Hello all,

My parents are visiting me - they are on a B2 visa - and we wish to travel to Canada for a week. I have some Qs and I'd greatly appreciate feedback/advice.
1. We have to apply to the LA Consulate for the TRV. Is the online application the only way?
2. Can my parents apply in person? If in person, is it at the Consulate or the VAC? We are citizens of India, and I don't think that we need to submit for biometrics.

1. How long does the process take - from submitting the application online to receiving the passports and visas back from the Consulate? Our trip is scheduled for the 1st week of July 2014.
2 I started the online application process. They are requesting a copy of my parents' marriage certificate. They don't have one - they were married 40years back - and any records/photos are in India and currently not accessible.
- Can they submit an affidavit and a copy of the last page of the Indian passport as proof of marriage/relationship? The last page contains the name of the spouse.

Thanks.
1. Process time 35 days

akil_f1

Jun 15, 2013
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
2**3
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-13
AOR Received.
10-01-2014
dogmatix said:
Hello all,

1. We have to apply to the LA Consulate for the TRV. Is the online application the only way? you can apply either online or by paper applications.If by paper application you have to fill all the docs and submit in VAC.If by online fill all the applications and submit in online
2. Can my parents apply in person? If in person, is it at the Consulate or the VAC? We are citizens of India, and I don't think that we need to submit for biometrics. No in person service for Canadian visas unless until they requested it for any kind of interviews.

1. How long does the process take - from submitting the application online to receiving the passports and visas back from the Consulate? Our trip is scheduled for the 1st week of July 2014.currently the processing time is 35 days(business days).so most probably it will be close shot if you submit now.btw i have submitted visit visa for my mother in law (same indian on B2 in USA)on APR 4th and still waiting for the response. don't get panic :)it always differ from case to case.
- Can they submit an affidavit and a copy of the last page of the Indian passport as proof of marriage/relationship? The last page contains the name of the spouse.Affidavit with explanation is good along with their passports.

Thanks.

dogmatix

May 20, 2014
Thank you.

One clarification: Have the Los Angles Consulate/VAC stopped the practice of in-person TRV applications? The official website shows that the NY Consulate allows in-person applications, but the LA Consulate is silent on this front. I understand that applying in person may speed up the process of getting a visitors' visa.

akil_f1

Jun 15, 2013
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
2**3
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-13
AOR Received.
10-01-2014
dogmatix said:
Thank you.

One clarification: Have the Los Angles Consulate/VAC stopped the practice of in-person TRV applications? The official website shows that the NY Consulate allows in-person applications, but the LA Consulate is silent on this front. I understand that applying in person may speed up the process of getting a visitors' visa.
Yes the LA dosent accept teh in person applications.the only way is online or paper applications.
http://can-am.gc.ca/visas/apply-how_la_demande-comment.aspx?lang=eng. check in this site

canvi

Feb 20, 2013
Hey Dogmatix/PMM,
Did you guys use affidavit along with parents passports with an explanation, as you do not have your parents' marriage certificate?
If so, did your parents get Canadian visitor visa without any issues?

I have same issue. I live in Canada and my parents are in India. I am planning to apply for their visitor visa. They don't have marriage certificate but they have their passports with spouse names. Just checking with you if your application was successful in the same scenario?
In which CIC office did you apply?