+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

kids citizenship

prak11

Star Member
May 5, 2010
Hello,

I'm an Indian and Canadian PR.If my kid is born here in canada, would I be able to take indian citizenship for the kid?what would happen to the kids status in canada? at the age of 18 would the kid be able to decide which citizenship it wants(india/canada)? any other issues invloved here?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not know Indian citizenship law but from what I have heard, they do not allow dual citizenship but they have something called overseas Indian citizenship which is a lifetime multi-purpose visa to India.

If the baby is born in Canada, he or she will be a Canadian citizen. You would then have to ask the Indian embassy if you can get Indian or Indian overseas citizenship for the child. Canada will not make the child choose at age 18 but India might.

prak11

Star Member
May 5, 2010
with OCI(overseas citizen of India) if my kid is to grow up in india they still consider it an NRI(Non Resident Indian) and fees in school and everywhere is almost 3 times than a local citizen.
If my kid is born here is there a way she can renounce the canadian citizenship at birth and take the Indian citizenship?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

prak11 said:
with OCI(overseas citizen of India) if my kid is to grow up in india they still consider it an NRI(Non Resident Indian) and fees in school and everywhere is almost 3 times than a local citizen.
If my kid is born here is there a way she can renounce the canadian citizenship at birth and take the Indian citizenship?
No, as renouncing citizenship would make her stateless.

prak11

Star Member
May 5, 2010
Do you mean to say if the kid is born here it has to be a canadian citizen? Is there any way I can choose Indian citizenship for the kid rather than canadian citizenship? I mean I don't want OCI.I want a regualr Indian citizenship.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not know if you can renounce the Canadian citizenship of your child. At http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/renounce-eligibility.asp it states that a person must be 18 to renounce it.

Talk to the Indian embassy. It is possible that your child can have dual Indian and Canadian citizenship until India makes him or her choose at some certain age.

You could also make sure your child is born in India and then you will not have these problems. You can sponsor your child for PR if you want to.

NEWCAN2014

Nov 25, 2014
Hi,

My Scenario

I have become a naturalized Canadian Citizen in Nov 2014. I have two sons elder one was born in 2006
and younger one was born 2008. Both are landed Canadian Immigrants in 2007 and 2010 respectively.
The PR card of elder son has been expired in 2012 and PR card for younger son is valid till Nov 2015.
My Wife also Landed Immigrant in 2007 and her PR card is also expired in 2012.

All of them left Canada in 2012 due to some serious family issues and living back home since then.
The residensy obligation is unfortunately was not fullfilled by all of them. This means my wife and
elder son cannot enter Canada again. I have applied for a travel document for them but local Canadian
Highcommision declined the Travel Document Application. I need my Wife and Children back in Canada before
the expiry of my younger son's PR Card i.e. Nov 2015.

My Questions

1) How to retain residency for All of them?
2) I believe my sons are not eligible for Canadian Citizenship as descent, so I cannot proceed with
"Citizenship Certificate Application" followed by "Canadian Passport Application"? So I need to
apply "Canadian Citizenship as Minor" for them.
3) If they are living with me for next two year will that be good enough for CIC to maintain/accept
residency days outside Canada? and maintain residency obligation?
4) What advantage can be taken from my Canadian Citizenship for them.
5) If I want to secure the children Canadian Citizenship, what steps do I have to take?
6) If I want to secure the spouse Canadian Citizenship, what steps do I have to take?

This is a very complex situation for me to handle these. I need someone's expert advice and guidance
for best possible way out and achievement of ultimate goal for "Canadian Citizenship" for all of my
family. I know any child born outside Canada to a Canadian Parent will automatically eligible for
citizenship certificate.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I dont understand why you decided to have your kid born here when you wanted Indian citizenship in the first place. This is a good example of misuse of government resources. You could have saved our money (hard working tax payers) by not delivering the kid here. Please keep that in mind in case you decide to have another kid, if you want to make them 100 percent Indian citizens please deliver in India

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
If the child is born in Canada it is Canadian. Having then maybe lived 18, 20 years in Canada, what makes you say they want to become Indian? They probably cannot be bothered growing up the Canadian way.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NEWCAN2014 said:
My Questions

1) How to retain residency for All of them?
2) I believe my sons are not eligible for Canadian Citizenship as descent, so I cannot proceed with
"Citizenship Certificate Application" followed by "Canadian Passport Application"? So I need to
apply "Canadian Citizenship as Minor" for them.
3) If they are living with me for next two year will that be good enough for CIC to maintain/accept
residency days outside Canada? and maintain residency obligation?
4) What advantage can be taken from my Canadian Citizenship for them.
5) If I want to secure the children Canadian Citizenship, what steps do I have to take?
6) If I want to secure the spouse Canadian Citizenship, what steps do I have to take?
1) If you already applied for a travel document and it was denied, you have very likely triggered the loss of their PR as they do not meet the RO. You can however sponsor them for PR again.

2) You can not apply for citizenship for your children if their PR status is in question.

3) Yes, if the travel document did not trigger their loss of PR, living with them outside Canada would put their PR status back in good standing. However, it if was already officially lost, it would be too late for that.

5) and 6) Wait and see if one or some of them lose their PR officially due to the denied travel document. If that happens, you can sponsor them for PR. They should join you in Canada. You can apply for your sons citizenship right away. Your wife will have to qualify to apply for citizenship on her own by living in Canada for the required number of years before she can apply.