+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Just a quick question about maintaining legal staus

chrism88

Feb 11, 2009
Ok so my girlfriend is a canadian citizen and i am a british citizen last year from february the 19th till october the 1st we lived together at her parents residence in canada in which time i had a 6 months visitors visa then i later extended it for the extra months.

On the 1st of october we then came back to visit my parents which we are currently doing, my question is we have lived consecutively for over a year (or we will have on february the 19th) and we plan to go back to canada in a few months then apply inland as time is not a factor and getting all the documentation together would be easier.

My real question is in the case of my extension of temporary stay i had applied 30 days before it ran out so i was covered, In this case we would probably be applying about 3 or so months in of the 6 month visitor visa so once i have sent off the application will i be covered to stay? Or do i need to keep extending my visitors visa which is not really practical as we dont know how long it will take (12-18 months i have read)?

I have also read that applying for common-law partner you dont actually need to have legal status in the country but obviously i would like to keep this as legit as i can make it and not just outstay my visa on purpose if there is something else i can do.

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just include an application for an extension in with your PR application. Mail them off together.

You will see the check boxes on the extension on what you are requesting for and you would check off the one that says "initial work permit". Make sure you mail it along with your PR application before your current status expires. You will then have implied status until they make the first stage approval which is currently taking 6 months. If all goes well and there are no doubts of relationship of convience or any other issues then you will then be mailed an "Open work permit". This permit will then be your new temporary document. This open work permit will allow to work for any employer for the rest of your processing of the application.