1 November 2016
Med's Done....
10 November 2016
Passport Req..
27-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2018
Hi Just do it

I completely agree with you . A very nice post indeed. IT is useful and informational for all forum members.

Cheers :)

shebaby

Star Member
Nov 22, 2012
just do it!!! That was a bomb...Whaoooo you just nailed it. This ie really very helpful for those of us that are just coming in to Canada. God bless you for this, this is the kind of advise we want on these forum, getting people prepared for the worse.
just_do_it said:
Not entirely true.

while its very hard for a new grad to get their foot in the door, its not impossible. The world out there is not all rosy as one might think and its a very tough lesson that one learns when you have to go through it.

1. who you know may help you get noticed but not necessarily help you get a job. In an employer's market (which is the current situation), the employer has the upper hand of picking the best candidate (most education, experience etc..) . in other words, the most bang for the buck type of employee is what they are looking for.

the employee will have an upper hand when the jobs are readily available and not enough applicants (like it was before the recession).

I have had got my resume noticed through "connections" a couple of times but it still was not enough to get a job because there was someone else with more experience and skills than me. connections may help you find a labor job paying minimum wage or if you are a very politically connected person, but in between; not so much.

2. Experience is what counts the most. and by that i mean canadian work experience. you could have decades of work experience in india, that still wont give you an upper hand on someone with a couple of years of canadian work experience. Thats the cold hard truth of it. so if you bring your work experience over from wherever you come from, you have to grasp the fact that it may not be worth $hit here.

3. Universities (ivy league) or not may or may not have an effect on you getting a job. If a sensible employer has to pick between a C-grade student from McGill vs an A-grade student from TRU, you know who would they go for.

What a university can offer you (and this is where a smaller vs a big university does make a difference) is the resources that it provides you for job hunting. Co-op programs are better at some than other and quite often new grads get offered jobs at the companies they did their co-op at. similarly, some universities have better resources for after-grad job hunting than others.

4. you have to adjust your expectations based on a lot of things. Graduating from an MBA program with no real world work experience (as is the norm in India) and feeling entitled to a managerial job and nothing less would do, this can get you in trouble and leave you jobless for a while. When canadian work experience is lacking on your resume, no related job is small.

For e.g. i graduated with a Comp Sci degree + co-op work experience but had a very hard time finding that first job. I applied for everything related to my education and was offered a tech support position at a small software firm. I know i was over-qualified for the job and i certainly did not need a degree to do it but that was step 1. after a year or so, i applied around and got a better job and biggest factor that got me the new job was the specific experience from the old one. So, its all relevant.

5. you also need to be open to move freely when building up that work experience and looking for that first job. I had attracted interest from government services in nova scotia but just couldnt move due to family reasons. But dont confine yourself to a particular province/ area.

6. do volunteer work to build up your resume. you can find tons of volunteer work in your area related to your education/ career goals. Believe it or not, this really stands out on your resume and gives you an extra edge.

7. work on your resume and cover letter. If a particular format you are using is not getting you any replies, switch it around and try another format/ style. cover letters are usually what get you noticed first. If you cant get their attention with your cover letter, they wont even look at your resume. I had 10-15 different styles of resume's and cover letters that i experimented with.

One of my professors gave me a brilliant idea to catch a recruiters attention. He said to create my own personal logo and stick it on my cover letter. or better yet, put my picture on the cover letter. I know its cheesy but if it makes you stand out from the rest of the applicants, you have the recruiters attention.

8. Be prepared for rejection; its part of job hunting. for every 100 resume's you send out, expect to hear back from 10-15% (this could be more or less based on the type of job and the field you apply in). I cant even remember how many jobs i applied for, anywhere from paid internship to contract jobs to full time to even part time. But i can count on my hand how many interview calls i got.

Job hunting sucks, its not easy, it will kick you in the balls again and again but you have to be stubborn yourself and keep going. If you give up now because its so hard to find that first job, you have another thing coming at you... LIFE.

Good Luck!

ad singh

May 23, 2011
Visa Office......
CHC CHD
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31 March 2015
Nomination.....
15 March 2016
AOR Received.
18 April 2016
IELTS Request
8 BANDS
Med's Request
1 November 2016
Med's Done....
10 November 2016
Passport Req..
27-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2018
Read this just do it

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324874204578440901216478088.html

Nandini09

Dec 4, 2012
but ad singh...datz d situation in US.nt canada.i am nt thr yet..bt as far as i knw technical diplomas stil hav gud value

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ad singh said:
Read this just do it

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324874204578440901216478088.html
I suppose you are pointing out that going to an ivy league school has benefits? or are you pointing out that going for a college education is better than going to university?

I agree with some of the points in the article but not all. The article sounds more like an advertisement for colleges. But then again you are citing 1 article, written on US education and make a few comparisons. Not at all relevant to the scene in Canada.

Here's what i think though. The belief that a university degree will earn you more was perhaps true in the baby boomer era from 1940's to 1980's. Nowadays, not so much. Now its more of what you study and know rather than having a piece of paper. Still, a lot of people go to university just for the heck of getting a degree. If you look at people graduating from a canadian university in a year, you will see a big chunk of them graduating with degrees in psychology, sociology, political science, linguistics, english, etc etc. In other words.. all dead end degrees. The reason being their parents probably still think (being baby boomers themselves) that any degree is a good degree. Fortunately, technical degrees such as those in engineering never let you down. So there is still value in a university degree but only for a select few areas.

As far as colleges are concerned, there are good and bad choices. Colleges are the only places to get started in trades. But where colleges go wrong is when they create programs to cater to a specific genre of students instead of catering to a specific industry demand. Point in case, the oh so famous global business management programs offered by almost all colleges in the spp. This is where a student will lose money.

Another difference in offerings between colleges and universities (this applies to technical degrees/ diploma's) is that college programs are usually specific to provide you with a small skill set to do a specific job. Note the keyword here, "specific job". A degree program will offer you the same skill set plus a broad level knowledge of everything in between and beyond. so your employment options are not at all specific. There is no way that a 2 year college program will give you the same skill sets as a 4 year degree program and your skill set is what counts in the end when you are job hunting.

so both have their good and bad. But you cant blame the world for the choices you make as a student. The onus is always upon you.

ad singh

May 23, 2011
Visa Office......
CHC CHD
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31 March 2015
Nomination.....
15 March 2016
AOR Received.
18 April 2016
IELTS Request
8 BANDS
Med's Request
1 November 2016
Med's Done....
10 November 2016
Passport Req..
27-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2018
Here comes something from CANADA...

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/06/11/todays-graduates-too-few-jobs-not-enough-pay/

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ad singh said:
Here comes something from CANADA...

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/06/11/todays-graduates-too-few-jobs-not-enough-pay/
All i get from the article is "Life is tough! So Get tough yourself".

1. it does point out what i said earlier, expectations of new grads are usually higher (fuelled by their parents belief that a degree promises a good job as was the norm some 50 years ago). Expectations of "canadian" students are even higher. I know some who would not take a part time job because it does not look good on their resume relative to the line of work they want to work in. they'd rather live poor than work to make ends meet.

2. It does highlight the fact that a university degree normally does not guarantee a job and that needs to be accepted as a fact. An applicant's attitude, social skills, work experience etc are all relevant to getting a job offer. One of the women interviewed may have a double degree in chemical engineering but the article does not highlight what kind of jobs has she been applying for? is she restricting herself to a specific area? what kind of jobs is she expecting to be hired for? Has she considered internships/ volunteering? what other skills/ experiences does she have other than 2 degrees? How about her grades?

Today's job market is definitely tough and very competitive. specially considering the TFW program that allows employers to hire cheap labour from overseas for the same job. all that means is you have to work that much harder to make yourself marketable i.e. picking up extra skills, getting relative work experience by any means, trying harder when job hunting. Getting that first job is very hard, no denying that. It took me 6 months to find that first job and it was nowhere near what i had expected it to be.

You said its tough out there, i agreed but suggested its not impossible if you are willing to do the extra bit. Not sure what point you are trying to make by citing these articles for me to read.

Students need to realize life is not easy after graduation and graduating is only half the battle won. But no need to discourage others. Certainly your experiences will be different from others' as other's experiences will be different from yours.

ad singh

May 23, 2011
Visa Office......
CHC CHD
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31 March 2015
Nomination.....
15 March 2016
AOR Received.
18 April 2016
IELTS Request
8 BANDS
Med's Request
1 November 2016
Med's Done....
10 November 2016
Passport Req..
27-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-03-2018
Hi just do it, those articles were not just for you. But for everyone , and it is for common good , aint discouraging anyone. Just people should know the whole side rather than just the dreamy side advertised by consultants. As regards tfw program, yes Canadians wants it closed now and there is bad taste in public as regards people getting inter company transfers and getting Canadian jobs , most of these people are from India from I.T sector who got the jobs and government has placed serious restrictions on this practice now. RBC Bank did this big time, and it was all over news and people were angry to loose jobs to TFW. Situation will turn normal. But yes, Indian outsourcing is huge , the jobs are not only outsourced to companies like TCS , but also TFW are bought in to do the white collar I.T jobs, makes sense as Indians are good with IT.

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ad singh said:
Hi just do it, those articles were not just for you. But for everyone , and it is for common good , aint discouraging anyone. Just people should know the whole side rather than just the dreamy side advertised by consultants. As regards tfw program, yes Canadians wants it closed now and there is bad taste in public as regards people getting inter company transfers and getting Canadian jobs , most of these people are from India from I.T sector who got the jobs and government has placed serious restrictions on this practice now. RBC Bank did this big time, and it was all over news and people were angry to loose jobs to TFW. Situation will turn normal. But yes, Indian outsourcing is huge , the jobs are not only outsourced to companies like TCS , but also TFW are bought in to do the white collar I.T jobs, makes sense as Indians are good with IT.
I agree, but 9 times out of 10, people will do what they believe in and are prepared for. So you and i can try to present the reality as much as we want, others will read it but then do what they want. Come to think of it, we always hear success stories of friends, relatives, etc who made it over here but you never hear about the ones that failed. you have to accept the fact that failure is a possible result and have to be prepared for it. I always advise to have a plan A (where everything falls into its place and the ride is smooth as butter), a plan B (some things work out, some dont) and a plan C (nothing works in your favor). That way, you will know what to do in either situation instead of panicking and making wrong choices.

as far as TFW's are concerned, its making the news and the scam is being exposed to the canadians. Indian IT firms are contracted not because they are good at it, but because they are cheap. This situation unfortunately tilts the playing field in the employer's favor when they have the option to hire cheap offshore workers when they cant get those in canada to accept the jobs they offer at the wages they want to pay. In a free market, this would have led to higher wages. at the moment, not so much. So hopefully, the TFW program is scrapped in the near future so everybody IN CANADA has a shot at a decent job and a fair wage.