+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job opportunities with TFW and working in Vancouver

mamainak

Jul 17, 2009
Hello everyone,

first of all I want to say 'thank you' for such a great supportive forum, just reading the previous threads answered some of my questions. But still, I have few of my own.

To start with, I'm 25 and originally from Croatia (currently living in London, UK).
I've been thinking of moving to Vancouver next Autumn and wondering what is the best way to apply for a visa. I'm not a skilled worker, i.e., I don't have a degree. I've been working as a child-minder and a carer for 3 years now and really need a change in my life, I just don't see this being my career although it was enjoyable for most of the time. So because of that experience and references I guess I could easily get a Live-in Caregiver visa but then I'd do the same job again.
Then I read somewhere that I can also get a TFW visa and I don't have to be a skilled worker.

I also have a CELTA certificate (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) but I'm not sure that would be a plus as Canada is already an English speaking country...

The thing I've been wondering is: what kind of jobs can someone with TFW visa (expect to) get? Is it construction, waiting in a restaurant, cleaning...? I don't want to sound snobbish but I can't afford to work and live on a bare minimum because I also partially support my family financially.

Another thing is: should I apply for a visa from my country or once I'm in the Canada? I'm not sure there'd be an employer who'd be willing to go through the process of visa application and LMO for an unskilled worker while they're still overseas. Because of that I've been thinking of coming to Vancouver as a visitor (I don't need a visa to come as a visitor, I checked on the website), see how I like it, look for a job and if I find one I'd apply for a visa. But it's always a risk to go to a foreign country (and far away!) without a job...

And last thing is...is it possible to have visas for 2 jobs? What if you find two part-time jobs?

Thank you

plussy

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
NOC Code......
LIC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Mamainak,

Welcome to the forum. I am not an expert but will try to give some inputs on your queries to the best of my knowledge.

Your plan to enter Canada as a visitor and find work is doable. Others have tried and succeeded.

But first you have to find an employer that is willing to apply for an LMO and go over the whole process of getting a TFW. And this whole process will take time. When you have the copy of the LMO and job offer, you can then go to the nearest border and apply your Work Permit.

As what you have categorized yourself as an unskilled worker, I guess you will fall under the Low Skilled Worker. Every low skilled worker receives minimum wage. You have to work from the bottom and move to the top. If you have the experience and a change of functions or NOC level, then you can apply for permanent residency.

You cannot have 2 jobs if you’re a TFW. Your WP will have conditions that require you to only work full time for the employer, the job, and the address stated in your WP.

I hope this somehow helped and maybe other members can add something more.

Good luck :)

mamainak

Jul 17, 2009
Hi Plussy,

thank you so much, you gave me some useful information there :)

I don't mind starting with a minimum, but I was wondering will I get a chance to progress to a better position or get a job that doesn't necessarily require a degree but can be paid above minimum wage. Well, let's say a job of a receptionist, office assistant, PA or as a web moderator/support (I have experience in that area).
Everyone knows that many countries give work permits to foreigners to fill the less popular/unwanted jobs among their nation, so I thought I will be quite limited.

plussy said:
Hi Mamainak,

Welcome to the forum. I am not an expert but will try to give some inputs on your queries to the best of my knowledge.

Your plan to enter Canada as a visitor and find work is doable. Others have tried and succeeded.

But first you have to find an employer that is willing to apply for an LMO and go over the whole process of getting a TFW. And this whole process will take time. When you have the copy of the LMO and job offer, you can then go to the nearest border and apply your Work Permit.

As what you have categorized yourself as an unskilled worker, I guess you will fall under the Low Skilled Worker. Every low skilled worker receives minimum wage. You have to work from the bottom and move to the top. If you have the experience and a change of functions or NOC level, then you can apply for permanent residency.

You cannot have 2 jobs if you're a TFW. Your WP will have conditions that require you to only work full time for the employer, the job, and the address stated in your WP.

I hope this somehow helped and maybe other members can add something more.

plussy

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
NOC Code......
LIC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Mamainak,

If you have the experience and the skill, I'm sure you can. You can check out
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/intro-eng.aspx

Browse the specific job you plan of getting and it will show you the rates and requirements needed.