+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job Offer - LMIA Exempt - 1 Year Work Experience on IEC

jhowarth94

Oct 15, 2024
Hi all,

I have heard conflicting statements about the eligibility of LMIA-exempt job offers for Express Entry applications.

Here's how I believe I meet the criteria:

1. I have been working full-time for one year in a TEER 1 role on an IEC (International Experience Canada) open work permit.
2. I have a valid job offer in writing confirming that my employer wishes to keep me on for a minimum of one year.
3. I meet the "Canadian Interests" reason under reciprocal employment.

I've heard conflicting opinions on whether the work permit needs to be open or closed for the CRS points to be counted toward my application.

I'm having trouble interepting the following statement from the IRCC's website:
"You may be exempt from needing an LMIA for Express Entry if your current temporary job is LMIA-exempt, states a specific employer or employers"

My work permit is technically LMIA-exempt; however, does not state a specific employer.

I might be grasping at straws here; but, where exactly does a 'specific employer' need to be stated?

I'm assuming my current work permit, and if so, probably makes me ineligible to have a LMIA-exempt job offer :(

Advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I have heard conflicting statements about the eligibility of LMIA-exempt job offers for Express Entry applications.

1. I have been working full-time for one year in a TEER 1 role on an IEC (International Experience Canada) open work permit.
2. I have a valid job offer in writing confirming that my employer wishes to keep me on for a minimum of one year.

I've heard conflicting opinions on whether the work permit needs to be open or closed for the CRS points to be counted toward my application.

"You may be exempt from needing an LMIA for Express Entry if your current temporary job is LMIA-exempt, states a specific employer or employers"

My work permit is technically LMIA-exempt; however, does not state a specific employer.

I might be grasping at straws here; but, where exactly does a 'specific employer' need to be stated?

I'm assuming my current work permit, and if so, probably makes me ineligible to have a LMIA-exempt job offer :(

Thank you!
You need to be on a closed work permit to claim the 50 points. Only possible on a WHV if your employer gets an approved LMIA.

Employer specific = closed work permit where employer is listed on work permit

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

Thank you!
So to give you an example, if you were on a YP vs a WHV then you could claim the points.

jhowarth94

Oct 15, 2024
So to give you an example, if you were on a YP vs a WHV then you could claim the points.
I see, thanks for your reply.

I guess my best option is to apply for the YP using the job offer I have.

I'll ask my employer for a LMIA but my work permit will likely expire while I'm waiting on an outcome for a permanent residency application, given that obtaining a LMIA will set me back a couple months.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I see, thanks for your reply.

I guess my best option is to apply for the YP using the job offer I have.

I'll ask my employer for a LMIA but my work permit will likely expire while I'm waiting on an outcome for a permanent residency application, given that obtaining a LMIA will set me back a couple months.
You can do that. Make sure you read up on the YP rules for your country. You'll need to create a new entry into the IEC pool and wait for an invitation.