+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job Offer for Express Entry: LMIA Required?

wallacelin

Mar 6, 2019
Hello all, my name is Wallace and I'm currently applying in the Express Entry system under the Canadian Experience Class (although I qualify for the Foreign Skilled Worker Program). I currently live and work in Canada under a post-graduate work permit due to expire in May 10; so you see, I have little time so am quite nervous I will not get an invitation to apply in time.

My current CRS is 396 (although the CRS tool said I should have 411) which I believe is too low. The threshold for today's round of invitation (March 6) was 454 points. I am looking to improve my score with both IELTS exams and getting a job offer from my current employer. However, I'm unsure if they will need a Labour Market Impact Assessment or LMIA?

As far as I know, I should have a valid job offer with LMIA anyway. However, since I am currently working and have been for more than a year under my PGWP, is the job exempted? If not, how long does the LMIA take?

Edit: Upon examining my profile, I noticed I did not get any additional points for Canadian education even though I graduated from a 2-year college diploma program here. Does it not count post-secondary education?

I realized I missed a couple opportunities to improve my CRS before and it's really disheartening. I'm new to this website and would really appreciate anyone with some solid advice. Thank you!

alfred0

Feb 10, 2015
Toronto
Yes, it needs a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to make the job offer valid then claim points in the express entry system.

I did ask my employer to get the LMIA, it took around 12 weeks (counting from LMIA file number assign date) to get it.

Your employer has to post advertisement for at least 1 month before applying for the LMIA, the overall process is really time consuming... start asap

Also, even if your PGWP expires while applying for the LMIA, you can apply for Visitor Record to remain in Canada as visitor and wait for the LMIA and express entry's ITA.

;)Good luck

wallacelin

Mar 6, 2019
Hello Alfred, thank you! I didn't realized visitor record was an option. Do you know if I apply for visitor record, can I leave and return to Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Alfred, thank you! I didn't realized visitor record was an option. Do you know if I apply for visitor record, can I leave and return to Canada?
Whether you are allowed back into Canada is always up to CBSA. Holding a visitor record does not guarantee re-entry.

wallacelin

Mar 6, 2019
Heya scylla! As long as I can remain and continue working in Canada I am happy. Well the record allow me to do so?

Also, I’m guessing it’s duration will depend on how long getting LMIA and PR will take?

Thank you for taking the time to answer me.

Becikl007

Star Member
Jul 18, 2016
Heya scylla! As long as I can remain and continue working in Canada I am happy. Well the record allow me to do so?

Also, I’m guessing it’s duration will depend on how long getting LMIA and PR will take?

Thank you for taking the time to answer me.
When your current work permit expires and you go on a tourist visa, you are not allowed to work. You will only be allowed to work if you apply for PR before your work permit expires AND you apply for a BOWP. But you cannot work on a tourist visa.

wallacelin

Mar 6, 2019
Okay, so I can’t get a valid job offer with LMIA in time before my work permit expires so I will just have to improve upon my IELTS score and I don’t think there’s any other way to continue stay and work beside getting an invitation to apply.

Thank you, this clarifies a lot of stuff for me.