+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Job Duties and NOC Code

dunnoyet

Jun 10, 2013
Hi guys,

I've submitted my application with NOC Code 2171, and since 2171 has pretty generic job duties, I was wondering if the job responsibilities that I've provided below matches or not:

• Provide ongoing support for current data warehouse, maintain existing financial/operations reporting systems that leverages the data warehouse, as well as implement new reporting solutions that will provide management an overview of how the business is currently performing.
• Work closely with stakeholders and end-users to identify their business needs and requirements, review and align system processes, determine gaps, and come up with viable and cost-effective system solutions for the business.
• Oversee the implementation of new business systems/process initiatives, utilize available project management tools to handle project scope, timelines and resources, and make sure the overall process is well-documented and communicated to the end-users or business stakeholders.
• Perform ad hoc data queries for analysis to determine areas of opportunity for strategic solutions to save overall costs.

Probably too late to ask for this now since I've already submitted my application, but I was wondering if anyone could provide a second opinion (and i could prepare for a worst-case-scenario situation) ? :-[

grishan1

Sep 5, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2013
AOR Received.
Apr 12, 2013
Med's Request
Dec 7, 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Dec 18, 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 24, 2014
What was your job title?

grishan1

Sep 5, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2013
AOR Received.
Apr 12, 2013
Med's Request
Dec 7, 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Dec 18, 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 24, 2014
This is what is written in their webpage (http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=2171):
Information systems business analysts and consultants confer with clients to identify and document requirements, conduct business and technical studies, design, develop, integrate and implement information systems business solutions, and provide advice on information systems strategy, policy, management, security and service delivery.

For me, It looks like your second point corresponds to "confer with clients to identify and document requirements", while your 1, 3 and 4 correspond to the rest of the description (for example, "maintain existing financial/operations reporting systems" = "conduct business and technical studies").

However, everything looks very general, and I am lost in all these words about everything and nothing. My personal feeling is that you should be fine, lets wait what other guys will reply.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A little vague / generic but so is the HRSDC description. You should be fine - worse case scenario I assume they will request more info from you.

Good luck.

dunnoyet

Jun 10, 2013
Yes and I do realize that my letter is pretty generic due to the fact I was trying to match the HRSDC description. I initially had concerns with including too much technical job specific information as I worried it would be confusing.

Thanks for the replies so far, and I most certainly hope that the VO looking at my case would request more info from me and not reject me outright. :(

I'd most certainly appreciate it if anyone else would like to give their two cents... :-X

i_love_toast

Sep 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-0
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-07-2013
AOR Received.
10-09-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
24-02-2014
I also wonder about the main job duties provided on http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca and matching exactly those provided on our reference letter.

Each NOC has a number and then a title e.g Construction Managers and then provides 4 or 5 vague and generic main duties. However there are around 30 job titles that fall under these NOC codes and they all have different duties. Even main duties can be different from one to the other.

I understand that your reference letter much be in line with the NOC code provided, however does the visa officer compare line for line and word for word for the main duties? Mine more or less matches, for example, there might be a few key words on the NOC main duties that match one of my main duties and so on and so forth. They do not read word for word though so I am hoping that the visa officer see's that the main body and language of the reference letter is in line with the main duties for that NOC code and he accepts it.

It's really the job titles that confuse things as they are so different under the one NOC...

Basmabooboo

Star Member
Sep 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2015
Doc's Request.
18-01-2016
Nomination.....
27-01-2016
AOR Received.
27-02-2016
Med's Done....
1-03-2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
17-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
27-11-2016
I have a bigger problem I think. I'm also under NOC 2171, and since I couldn't quite write my job duties in my own words AND make them match the NOC descriptions at the same time, what I did was a mix: I wrote some of my normal technical job duties plus some of the NOC wording as is on the NOC website. I got my reference letter on my company's letterhead with contact information, website, etc. and its signed and stamped by my HR department. My problem is this: I discovered that copying NOC wording directly into reference letters can be cause for refusal of applications :( I didn't know that at the time, wish I did!

So, I'm wondering what I can do to correct this situation...is it too late? My application was received by CIO on 8 September.

harsh41291

Apr 25, 2020
Hi, I've worked under same noc code 6235 (FSR) but in 2 different designations (job promotion). Now my current manager is giving me 2 reference letters for 2 designations. My question is that most of the job duties of these 2 letters are exactly the same i.e. 6 common job duties in both letters out of a total of 10. Will that create any problem. If yes, any way out?

PS- My manager is friendly to me.