+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Java Developer (Computer Programmer) eligible for PR ?

anil123

Apr 6, 2011
Hi I am newbie to this forum thinking of applying canada university for graduation. I am java developer (Computer programmer) in my home country, am I eligible to apply for Perminent Residency with this software skills.

Please respond is Java developer falls in NOC 0, Skill A, or Skill B for PR ? or it dont belong to NOC.

Thank You

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Computer programmer is a skilled occupation but in order to apply under CEC, you will need 2 years studies plus one year work.

anil123

Apr 6, 2011
Thanks Leon for your reply , please clarify few questions

Suppose if I come to Canada on student Visa

After MS college will give Work Permit during this work permit duration do i need to apply PR ?

what are the chances of getting PR ? How many years it will take to approve PR ?

If I attend Masters in Computer Science, How is the job market over there ? is it easy getting job as Java developer, I have read in forums companys over
there select only canadian citizen for IT related jobs is it right ?

Thanks All

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you do a 2 yr. program or 1 yr. program plus 1 yr. MS program, you are eligible to apply for a post grad work permit for up to 3 yrs. After minimum 1 yr. of skilled work, minimum 1950 hrs., you can apply under CEC. Odds of getting approved if you qualify 99.9%. Odds of getting approved if you don't qualify 0.1%

With CEC, there are a couple of other requirements, one is getting a good result on IELTS.

Processing has been fast for CEC, I think it is under one year.

anil123

Apr 6, 2011
Hi Leon thanks for responding queries. I have few question which required your clarification

How is the Job market in Canada, in forums i found Canadian company hire only Canadian citizens in IT field is it right ?

After completing Masters getting job in computer science( I T ) filed easy or tough ?.

For applying PR is it mandatory to get 1 year work experience in Masters computer science fields OR I can get 1 year experience in any other filed and still eligible to apply for PR.

R there any consulting company's over there where i can join after graduation by them i can find my first job.

Which one is better coming to Canada on Student visa or directly apply Canada work permit from my Home country.

Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is often hard to get a job offer from the outside. The employers do not want to bother trying to apply for an LMO for you so you can apply for a work permit unless they really have to because if they can get a Canadian who can do that job, they will not get an LMO anyway. You can try getting job offers by looking at job search websites and contacting employers but it will probably not be easy. If you get a job offer and an LMO, you can apply for a work permit. If the employer can't get an LMO but he is ok with waiting, you can get an AEO and he can sponsor you through a PNP or you can use the AEO to apply under FSW.

If you can not get a job offer, you can try to get a study permit. After studying, you can apply for a post-grad work permit which is an open permit so it will make it easy for the employer to hire you without having to apply for anything. You can only get an open work permit for as long as your course was. If you do a 2 year course, you can get a 3 year open work permit. If you only do a one year course, you only get a 1 year open permit. If you do two one year courses, they will not hold it against you if the 2nd course is a masters, otherwise 2 x 1 year course is not the same as 1 x 2 year course.

To qualify under CEC, you need 2 years studies and 1 year skilled work in Canada or no studies and 2 years work. If you only do a one year course and get a one year work permit, you would not be able to apply under CEC but if you are lucky, you will find an employer who will apply for your LMO to help you stay when your 1 year work permit would expire. Taking a 2 year course means that you have a lot more time on an open work permit to find ways to qualify to apply for your PR.