+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Japanese Spouse

adam_b_416

Aug 28, 2017
Apologies if this was previously answered. I’m sure it was, but had a tough time using the search tool to find a similar Q&A.

My wife and I married in Japan, just this last month. She is Japanese nationality and I am a Canadian citizen.

I am here in Japan under a visitor visa which is expiring in the end of Sept. At which time my wife and I will be returning to Canada together.

From what I understand, since she’s coming from a Visa-exempt country (Japan) she can remain in Canada for up to six months without needing a visa.

During these 6 months, I plan to start the inland spousal sponsorship.
  • Thoughts on taking this route to a spousal sponsorship?
  • I'm assuming the spousal sponsorship will take longer than 6 months, will she be forced to leave? Or can she stay under an Implied status?
  • Any tips or suggestions from anyone that has gone though a similar route?
Thanks for your time! Have a lovely day.

Adam

Last edited:

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
  • I'm assuming the spousal sponsorship will take longer than 6 months, will she be forced to leave? Or can she stay under an Implied status?
If you apply inland for her PR as well as an Open Work Permit, then she'd have implied status for entire duration of PR processing so wouldn't need to extend status separately.

With an inland app, the applicant should NOT leave Canada for entire duration of processing. If re-entry was denied for any reason, the PR app would be cancelled.

Alternatively you can submit an outland app while she's in Canada. The main difference is the app is processed from her home country, there is no OWP, she can freely leave/re-enter during processing with no risk, and the timing is usually quicker than inland. Since there is no implied status with outland app, her status needs to be maintained separately.

Reactions: kcward7

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Since she is from Japan, I would apply outland. She can still visit you in Canada, will probably be given 6 months at the border, and in any case can apply to extend her stay.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Apologies if this was previously answered. I’m sure it was, but had a tough time using the search tool to find a similar Q&A.

My wife and I married in Japan, just this last month. She is Japanese nationality and I am a Canadian citizen.

I am here in Japan under a visitor visa which is expiring in the end of Sept. At which time my wife and I will be returning to Canada together.

From what I understand, since she’s coming from a Visa-exempt country (Japan) she can remain in Canada for up to six months without needing a visa.

During these 6 months, I plan to start the inland spousal sponsorship.
  • Any tips or suggestions from anyone that has gone though a similar route?
Thanks for your time! Have a lovely day.

Adam
She must extend her visitor status.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
She can stay in Canada, and may be able to keep staying, under what's called implied status. That means the law implies you are a temporary resident. The implied status lasts until Citizenship and Immigration Canada ( CIC ) decides on your new permit application.
Get married in Canada. process will be easier.
Keep in mind you are going to be ask to demonstrate your relationship, pictures, trips, economical help, etc

bobocan

Mar 11, 2016
It's possible she will get more than 6 months. I was given 1 year when I entered as a visitor and I got a new paper for 6 months when I was coming back from a trip to US before the original one expired. If you have questions, you can message me.